Highlighted

Horrendous keyboard input lag since AE 2020

Community Beginner ,
Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ever since my entire department at the office upgraded to After Effects CC 2020 on PC over a year ago, we have  experienced an unprecedented level of keyboard and mouse-click input lag of up to 4 seconds or more when using keyboard shortcuts, clicking dropdown menus, copying, pasting, almost everything. How can this be solved? I've experienced this in two different setups, on the HP Z840 Workstations at the office and on my Personal Computer at home, both running Windows 10. It's been like this for more than a year I think. It's quite debilitating when we can't work at the speed of thought anymore. Help?

TOPICS
Error or problem, Freeze or hang, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Horrendous keyboard input lag since AE 2020

Community Beginner ,
Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ever since my entire department at the office upgraded to After Effects CC 2020 on PC over a year ago, we have  experienced an unprecedented level of keyboard and mouse-click input lag of up to 4 seconds or more when using keyboard shortcuts, clicking dropdown menus, copying, pasting, almost everything. How can this be solved? I've experienced this in two different setups, on the HP Z840 Workstations at the office and on my Personal Computer at home, both running Windows 10. It's been like this for more than a year I think. It's quite debilitating when we can't work at the speed of thought anymore. Help?

TOPICS
Error or problem, Freeze or hang, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 28, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Impossible to know. From generic graphics driver issues to specific HP-centric issues this could be anything. Start by kicking out all those crappy helper utilities OEM-branded machines often have and update the drivers - the regular way via device manager/ Windows Update, not HP's service manager. There may be a newer version of a driver that fixes the issue, they may just never show it because it isn't certified.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 28, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only constant factor between our workstations at the office and my PC at home is that both use video cards by Nvidia. Quadro at the office and Geforce GTX 1650 Super at home. Otherwise I use an assembled PC at home, ECS motherboard with an Intel Core i5 2300 processor while the office workstation is an HP Z840. After many iterations of the Nvidia Studio Drivers that get updated every 2 months or so I doubt it's a video card driver problem anymore. Especially given Adobe seems to recommend Nvidia and Intel machines when it come to compatibility.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 02, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amazing how "experts" disappear when you've done everything they suggest. I like you am experiencing this keyboard lag issue and it's with all of the Adobe apps I've used especially Premiere. Whether it's importing, dragging to the timeline, play/pause, effects controls etc., it makes for a horrendous experience. I've done everything I know of and online suggestions as well to no avail. I have no issues with my less than capable laptop. It's just my extremely capable desktop that has these issues as I stated before in ADOBE CC apps ONLY! If I come across a solution, will definitely hit you up via this board. Hope it works out for you sooner though.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 08, 2020 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Jars i think you sould Reset the program 
Ctrl + SHIFT + ALT while u strat the program.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 08, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion. But I'm sad to report that it didn't get fixed after that workaround.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 10, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Sep 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently "upgraded" my computer lab to CC 2020, and the keyboard lag is driving me nuts! It's particularly bad in Premiere. I started another post in the Premiere community, but no one has anything to offer.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/input-lag-keyboard-and-mouse/m-p/11422727?page=1#M298037

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 14, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish i had good news but I just tried uninstalling all Nvidia drivers and disabling my videocard from Device Manager and connecting my monitor directly to the onboard intel graphics on my motherboard. The input lag persists. I'm positive it's not an Nvidia hardrware or driver issue anymore. Nor is it an ECS issue because the Z840's at the office experience it. Must be some other variable.. Windows 10? But Microsoft together with Nvidia and Adobe seem to be collaborating and conforming to each other extensively for a problem to have lasted this long.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 19, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Sep 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not Windoze 10. I am having the same experience on a variety of Mac machines, both OS 10.14 and 10.15. It onset with CC 2020; that seems the most likely culprit.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 19, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Intereseting, to think that it's an isolated problem with AE itself. But why does the rest of the world not seem affected, after almost a year. Dare I just pray for a complete overhaul with the next version of AE? How long before we can expect CC 2021? 😄

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 22, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, not isolated to AE! Premiere is also badly afflicted.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 22, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got fed up and did a clean install of Windows 10 Pro. No more problems

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 19, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to hear that. It won't work for me though. I was anticipating this problem from the time I re-installed Windows 10 along with AE on my PC months ago, for Work from Home purposes. And true enough the AE lag issue from the office continued at home, even after multiple Windows updates, AE updates, and Nvidia updates.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 22, 2020 0