• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I avoid having Faded Videos?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Working now in AE2020, but same has been true with all previous versions. I import images... animate... and the exported result is sometimes or often faded. If an image is standard / adobe RGB, and I set Project Settings > Color > Color Workingspace to sRGB... the output is great. Punching. Vibrant Colorful. However... if the import image is already sRGB... and I leave the workingspace as "sRGB", then the exported video is faded. But if I switch workingspace to "none", the export is punchy and vibrant.

Is there a simpler way to approach this? Is there something I am missing? How can I spend less time worrying about refomating image profiles, or adjusting AE profile, and spend more time just building creative animation.

Mac Catalina. AE 2020.

TOPICS
User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you are missing that whole color management thing. No quick answers here. You have to read up on how CM actually works, not blindly set combinations that give you "good" output on your screens, with the truth of the matter likely being that you use a specific monitor profile that you are not using for CM in Photoshop, hence your whole workflow is based on wrong assumptions and crooked colors. Or in other words: Your "vibrant" colors are likely dead wrong and would look completely incorrect anywhere but on your own computer. And that is kind of the point: If you computer was consistently configured and you used these options as intendend, then the default settings in AE with no additional CM would produce consistent results. Again,  no simple answers here. You have to read up how this stuff works both in AE and PS and what e.g. proof previews are good for.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the fast and succinct response. I will give proof previews a try. Wasn't aware that was a feature in AE. I come mostly from the print world and do use color management, and use Bridge to ensure that profiles are consisent accross the apps I use for print and web. When working on web projects, I use the NW Print & Web setting. Since the animations I am creating are for social media / web it made sense for me to also use that profile. As mentioned, I use photos in the AE projects. They come from professional photographers. Some arrive as sRGB, some as RBG and some even as PhotoPro. I also calibrate my monitor monthly using a Spyder. I can open up a set of images in Photoshop, and they look terrific. I can use them in print projects.... and the result is perfect.. as intended. While I am building and working in AE... they look great there too. All up to this point is anticipate and expected. It's the exported mp4 that is the issue. Sometimes faded and washed out, sometimes rich and vibrant. I will continue to search for info on CM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello again Mylenium — By "proof preview"... are you referring to Simulate Output? At this point, I'm not finding any change in the appearance, after selecting for example "Internet Standard". I do see a different when I toggle ON and OFF the "Use Display Color Management". Currently, I am working on print, so using a print setting... which limits number of colors. So it makes sense that when I toggle OFF THE Use Display Color Management that the colors would become richer, and pop more. I will contintue to investigate. Thank you again for the feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines