Highlighted

HOW DO I CHANGE A SIMPLE SHAPE INTO A 3-LETTER WORD?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. 

This may be a very simple request but I just can't find a solution.

I would like to take a PNG of a simple leaf shape (auto traced) and change it into a 3 letter word within After Effects.

I can find a thousand tutorials on how to change a single letter into a shape and back again but I need to do a series of words (or part words) in order to create a line of text from a line of "fallen leaves"

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

HOW DO I CHANGE A SIMPLE SHAPE INTO A 3-LETTER WORD?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. 

This may be a very simple request but I just can't find a solution.

I would like to take a PNG of a simple leaf shape (auto traced) and change it into a 3 letter word within After Effects.

I can find a thousand tutorials on how to change a single letter into a shape and back again but I need to do a series of words (or part words) in order to create a line of text from a line of "fallen leaves"

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 23, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure what you expect. The term "morphing" itself implies that one shape transforms into another. Everything else is more or less irrelevant and merely comes down to your own creativity. Of course you will need to add intermediate animations with more shapes liek in those psychedelic animated movies of the 1960s and 1970s like "Yellow Submarine" or some of the Monthy Python stuff. Morphing directly would look stupid and yucky, anyway, so my advice is to not get hung up on such a terrible design idea. Having the leave disperse into water drops or particles and ad then re-assemble in some form would look much, much better than the smeary mess any direct morph can give you.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 23, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the advice.

Unfortunately, "not bothering with such a stupid and yucky idea" isn't an option at this stage and neither is the water droplets idea as this does not feature in the piece in any way and would look totally out of place. 

If you do have any ideas on how to change a shape into a word then let me know. 

Thanks again.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 23, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can morph one shape into another in Illustrator using the blend tool, expanding the blend, releasing to layers, moving the new layers to the top of the layer stack, then importing as a comp and sequencing the layers. The artwork has to be set up properly, but it's completely doable.

Other options for the complex shape like a leaf morphing into a letter can be achieved by a match cut or two or three frame dissolve using any of the distortion effects. Even something as simple as Roughen Edged in a pre-comp that contains a quick dissolve cut between the two shapes. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 23, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Rick. Ill try that. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 15, 2020 0