How do I change black to transparent background for Masks?

New Here ,
Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys, so basically I'm trying to do steps explained in this youtube clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVA46GFFbV4

But while the youtuber in the clip got transparent background every time he creates a mask layer (like at 6:02), I get a black background, like this: 

...which pretty much ruins the effect I was trying to make.

Please anyone knows how to change the background color? Many thanks!

http://www.storyblocks.com/cinecom - Learn how to create dancing buildings inside Adobe After Effects. In this tutorial you'll learn how to use Mocha Ae, Con...
TOPICS
How to, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hiha.jpgSo this is what I get everytime I do the mask thing. Don't know how to change that black background to transparent.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want the checkerboard enable the transparency grid in the comp panel. It's the icon at the bottom that looks like a checkerboard. You could also just put another layer below the layer with the mask.

I see a bunch of keyframes on what I think is your masked layer so I think you are using the Mask Tracker. Cropped screenshots don't tell us much. The best screenshots include selecting the problematic layer, pressing 'u' twice to show us all the modified properties of the layer, making sure that the switches and modes columns are visible in the timeline (the first two icons at the bottom left corner of the timeline) and if there is any parenting going on the Parent/Link column should also be visible (Shift + F4).  If just turning on the transparency grid or dropping another layer below the masked layer does not prove that you have transparency then post a full UI screenshot. 

By the way, even though that tutorial has about 150K views, I'd give it a C-. It's not very good, it's poorly explained, and the workflow is not very efficient.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines