Highlighted

How do I copy a path that is generated with expression and MGJSON data to a plain shape/path layer

Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

My Video explains it best

written explanation

I'm trying to copy a path from a template I use (Made by someone else) that generates a track map from GPS data on the GoPro camera. My problem is as the data is slightly inconsistent it overdraws many laps and I get an ugly looking track map. 
I'd like to clamp the data so speaking to 1 lap. Then Copy the map created by that data to a shape/layer underneath. In theory, I can then turn off the generated layer and just use the position indicator which uses the GPS data. See my video for a better understanding.

Thanks In Advance

Topics

Expressions

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How do I copy a path that is generated with expression and MGJSON data to a plain shape/path layer

Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

My Video explains it best

written explanation

I'm trying to copy a path from a template I use (Made by someone else) that generates a track map from GPS data on the GoPro camera. My problem is as the data is slightly inconsistent it overdraws many laps and I get an ugly looking track map. 
I'd like to clamp the data so speaking to 1 lap. Then Copy the map created by that data to a shape/layer underneath. In theory, I can then turn off the generated layer and just use the position indicator which uses the GPS data. See my video for a better understanding.

Thanks In Advance

Topics

Expressions

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 30, 2020 0
Guide ,
Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can try to convert the expression to keyframes and delete all keyframes after first lap.

Since the track isn't that complicated, I would use pen tool and re-draw the map. You will also get nicer curves and edges this way.

You can use trim paths if the track should reveal over time.

*Martin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 30, 2020 1
Most Valuable Participant ,
Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Martin. This seems simple enough to re-draw from scratch and then use the actual data only for the point or stroke reveal on top. If you use it as amatte or whatever you won't even need to optimize it further, but if you must, a simple smooth() expression can already improve the result. A full remapping of the GPS data to actual clean map info might be a different exercise entirely, though, if it's really required.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 30, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was hoping that their was a super fast solution. Like in spreadsheet programs where you can paste special. Rather then paste the formula/expression you can opt to paste the values.

Yes it only takes a minute or two to do the track maps. They are not crazy big and you have something to trace too.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 30, 2020 0