Highlighted

How do i make graphs morph into each other?

New Here ,
Jun 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Im very new to after effects, and want to acheive a specific goal and have no idea how to go about it. I have a series of graphs which show a distribution at specific times. This distribution shifts to higher values, and slightly changes shape as time increase. I want to create an animation which essentially shows how the distribution changes over time. Could anyone help me understand what approach I should take? Im thinking of essentially tracing the data at each time point with the pen tool (adding a ridiculous number of nodes) and then slowly moving these nodes to fit each new graph, and hope the software can fill in the blanks? Is this a reasonable approach or is there a much easier way to go about this?

Any advice would be greatly appreaciated!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How do i make graphs morph into each other?

New Here ,
Jun 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Im very new to after effects, and want to acheive a specific goal and have no idea how to go about it. I have a series of graphs which show a distribution at specific times. This distribution shifts to higher values, and slightly changes shape as time increase. I want to create an animation which essentially shows how the distribution changes over time. Could anyone help me understand what approach I should take? Im thinking of essentially tracing the data at each time point with the pen tool (adding a ridiculous number of nodes) and then slowly moving these nodes to fit each new graph, and hope the software can fill in the blanks? Is this a reasonable approach or is there a much easier way to go about this?

Any advice would be greatly appreaciated!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 14, 2020 0
Engaged ,
Jun 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. If I read you correctly you will only need one set of nodes. Set up your first version by drawing your shape, add a keyframe on your Mask 1/Mask Path. Move along to where you want the transition to start for your next shape, add another keyframe. Move to where the second shape is established and move the nodes to the new position. (Now the first graph will hold, then transition to the second). Keep repeating that process. Add the Stroke effect to give you the line.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 14, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have a lot of these to do you should take a look at the chart and graph tools at AESecipts.com. If you are paid for your work these tools will be well worth the investment. I have 3 different packages.

If you have no budget you can use Expression Control sliders to control the size of shape rectangles or the Y position of some nulls. AE's Create Nulls From Paths/Points Follow Nulls tool can control a shape layer path. You just have to tie each vertex to an expression control slider with an expression like this:

y = thisComp.layer("Data Control Sliders").effect("Data Point 16")("Slider");
[value[0], 900 - y]

If you are good at programming you can create a JSON file from a spreadsheet and drive the animation automatically. 

Here's a project file using sliders and manual keyframing. Maybe it will help if you don't have the budget to purchase one of the tools.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 15, 2020 0