• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I render an .avi from AE CS5?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 13, 2013 Jun 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There seems not to be that option. I have a AE file that is 4480x192 and needs to stay this size! I have tried many converters, but they seem to diminish the quality and change the size. Can anyone help or lead me in the right direction? The program this file will be put into ONLY accepts .avi.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What OS? I'm assuming Windows. If so, and you're exporting such an odd size then your composition must be 4480x192 and you must use the Render Cue.

The software that's using this file must have a list of specifications. In the Output Module you will need to customize the settings to match the specifications. That's the only way.

If you are on a Mac then let us know. It's not as easy. You could export an uncompressed .mov file and then use one of many conversion utilities to convert the Quicktime to an AVI. Here again you must match the specifications for the file.

192 pixels high is tiny. This file must be for LED signage or some other custom hardware.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Operating system Mac osx 10.7. We have a very large screen that encompasses a waterfall….the screen only accepts .avi. I have rendered it full size as .mp4 and .mov and it is fine, but as soon as I try to convert it to .avi this is when the quality and size goes downhill.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try just changing the extension.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did that, and the software tells me it is not an .avi file and rejects it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would render a PhotoJpeg or Animation codec QT from AE and then try converting that. Your MP4 file is highly compressed and will deteriorate significantly if it is compressed again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See attachment, JPEG Sequence?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand your response. I meant that you should pick Quicktime in the render cue and then select Animation or PhotoJpeg as the codec. Render that, and then use one of the several mov to avi conversion tools to render your avi.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/478655

I've had trouble with this in the past, basically you need a PC...

I rendered JPEG sequences (which works best because of the odd size), brought them back in AE on a PC and did the AVI renders that way.

You can use Mpeg Stream clip on a mac to make the AVI's but the quality is shocking...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2013 Jun 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response! Are you telling me that PC version of After Effects has the render option of an .avi and mac doesn't?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes. on PCs you can render AVI.

that was removed from the mac version i believe in CS5.

as Ogeil mentioned, render out to a QT file and then use mpeg streamclip so make the avi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why on earth would they do that? Any way around that other than having to buy a PC and then AE software for it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Why on earth would they do that?

AVI output on Mac OS was never a feature that After Effects offered.

It was a feature that QuickTime offered. But the lack of a 64-bit QuickTime system means that After Effects CS5 and later can't make use of these old components; and Apple has stopped working on QuickTime, so it seems unlikely that they'll be providing this again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AVI is a Windows video container and AE on the PC the AVI is a standard output format. You'll have to pick an AVI codec that will support the frame size. Many avi formats and many QuickTime formats have specific limitations on frame sizes. Some do not.

There should be a specific avi format setting for playback device. Just use that one and you will be fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2013 Jun 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, or perhaps you could run bootcamp, parallels or similar, because as mentioned it is a Windows codec. From memory EyZrwild is right about the max width allowed when using conversion software. Your best bet is using the PC version of AE, you will get the best results.

I worked on some stadium banner graphics a little while ago with the same issue, I defintely think it's worth getting your hands on a PC to do this.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2013 Jun 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I have another question: Is there a way to open up my Mac AE files already created in After Effects on the PC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After Effects projects have always been cross platform compatible. You may get missing plug-ins or missing fonts, but as long as the source files can be read on both machines you can open any AE file in the same version of AE on any OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing though I forgot to mention, PC version is 6.5, mac version is CS5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2013 Jul 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would say if you're having troubles opening your files across platforms due to reducing projects or collecting files/not having fonts or other plugins, render out JPEG sequences of each comp you need the AVI for, bring them in to premiere and create comps for each, add them all to a render que with the AVI settings you'd like and presto!

by pre-rendering at a HQ you will still maintain the quality of the original comp. I do this sometimes as well if I have complex background comps, ill pre-render them and re-import them to save on rendering time at the end of my project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 03, 2013 Jul 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for your help! You guys have provided me with so much assistance, I have been able to accomplish what I need! Given me great insight on alternative ways to accomplish what I need. Thanks So Much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have done this, but every conversion software I have used, has a limit on the width of the file. I render at 4480x192 in After Effects but when I go to convert the file the software it tells me that the max width allowed is 1920x192. So this totally schrunches the image terribly. I can have a 5gig file and after conversion it ends up only being 3mbg and very low res looking. Hidious on the screen it will play on. Why did Adobe remove the .avi render option in After Effects?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines