Highlighted

How do I render an EXR frame sequence in ae?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!

Anyone out there who can help me (or post a link to an instruction video, I have searched but is unable to find) with rendering a wide gamut master with an EXR frame sequence? This, I have learned from this community, is the best way since I am giving my finished comp to a colorist who wants to be able to adjust both the foreground background separately. I have keyed out a green screen window and replaced it with another moving background film clip. Would be so happy for help!!!

Best, Åsa

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How do I render an EXR frame sequence in ae?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!

Anyone out there who can help me (or post a link to an instruction video, I have searched but is unable to find) with rendering a wide gamut master with an EXR frame sequence? This, I have learned from this community, is the best way since I am giving my finished comp to a colorist who wants to be able to adjust both the foreground background separately. I have keyed out a green screen window and replaced it with another moving background film clip. Would be so happy for help!!!

Best, Åsa

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 03, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not much to it. Just work in 32bpc in your project and choose EXR for rendering witth the output depth set accordingly. There just won't be any layered EXRs, if that's what you're hoping for. That's not how AE's render pipeline works. Each pass will have to be output to its separate sequence and then later re-assembled by your colorist when needed.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 03, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Mylenium! But the colorist says there are ways to render ae files in layers? First, I rendered two files - one background and one foreground with alpha channels to get the transparency, and gave to the colorist, but have heard there are ways to render to only one file? I work in 32 bpc. New to this, so I hope I explain the problem properly.

🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 03, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, there isn't. Not with EXR. It's inherent how AE's render queue works. At best you can use the save Layers as PSD option, but that's an entirely different thing.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 03, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, ok! So no way to render only one file with layers, then. Either two files (one background and one transparent foreground file) or an EXR sequence? Thanks again!

/Åsa

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 11, 2020 0