• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I separate paint from video in After Effects CC

New Here ,
Jun 10, 2018 Jun 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm new to After Effects and need some advice on a project I am doing. I took a video and traced frames of the clip in a separate layer using the paint tool to create an outline of the figure moving through the clip. Now I want to remove the original video and only have my drawings on each frame. I have finished drawing on every frame (which took forever!), but I am stuck at the point of removing the background video. I hope someone can help me with this as I am very interested in learning more about After Effects. If possible, after the paint is isolated into it's own video, I want to put a different image behind the paint. If that is too much for a beginner, let me know, but I am up for the challenge! Thanks.

[Here is the list of all Adobe forums... https://forums.adobe.com/welcome]

[Moved from Creative Suites to the specific program forum... Mod]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the layer where you have painted, try going to Effects->Paint and change "Paint on Transparent" from "Off to On". Then create a new background layer below that layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I create a new background layer below the layer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You said "I want to put a different image behind the paint". If the image is a .bmp, .png, or .jpg or something load it into After Effects (File->Import->File). Then drag that image so the mouse pointer is below the existing layer. That will place that image layer below the existing layer, so it will be the background to your paint effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2018 Jun 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been struggling with this for a week now. It is probably simple, but I am trying to learn on my own. I have a layer labeled Composition. This Composition layer only shows the background image (.jpeg) that I have opened. Then I have another layer with the video that I have painted on top of. I am running After Effects CC 2018. I don't know how to change the order of the layers so the paint is on top of the background image. At this point I am just messing things up so I need to stop for some expert advice. Thank you if you can help me out with this!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the effect controls if you activate the checkbox of "paint on transparent" then the effect will knock out the background of its layer and will only have the paint strokes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To change the order of the layers, click on the layer you want to move, holding down the mouse, then move the mouse pointer to where you want it to go (eg. you can move the top layer to so there's an indicator pointing to just below the layer below), then release the mouse button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jun 21, 2018 Jun 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe I'm misunderstanding this - but if you want to just swap out the layer on which you have painted all you need to do is a 'source layer replacement' - as follows:

Select (highlight) the layer you've painted on in the timeline.

Hold down the Alt key and drag the layer you do want the paint to be on from the project panel onto the layer in the timeline. Release the Alt key.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2020 Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Was there ever an answer to this one? I've gotten the paint on transparent thing just fine but when I try to add the image that I want below the paint layer, the image shows up and the paint completely disappears...
I'm also beginner lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines