• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to calculate scale adjustment to match a background push or pull?

Participant ,
Aug 25, 2020 Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In case that headline isn't clear, here's the situation:

I have a subject that was shot on green screen.  She's standing looking up at the sky.

I have a drone shot of a field that starts low to the ground and pulls to about 150 ft up.

I want to place her in the field and scale her down so that as the drone pulls up and away she appears to get proportionally smaller.  I've tried eyeballing it but it doesn't feel exactly real.

Is there an equation to calculate the amount I should reduce her scale, or where I should place keyframes over the duration of the shot, relative to the speed and height of the drone shot?

And since I'm not great at math, might there even be an easier hack for this?

Would this be better done in AE and if so how?

Thanks!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

definitely AE, but I'm not an expert so I can't tell you how to do it.  I think you track something in the image and then there's a way to "attach" something to the track.  Maybe if I have a few drinks, I'll remember.   doubtful, but possible.  Might try posting your question in the ae forum...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I would put a rectangle or some shape over top of a visible object near where the subject is going to be, hopefully about the size of the subject too. Then go to the end of the clip and scale that shape down to fit the object size and see how that scale looks applied to the green screen subject. Your point of reference will likely have to be eyeballed, practice, try, try again. Watch for focus too and desaturation etc. Those effects will help sell it I think if you don't have the scale perfect. Motion blur may assist too. All of this is easier to do in AE and can be a bit more granular as you probably have to motion track the position too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines