Highlighted

How to change background to transparent in AE for Roto-brushed file

New Here ,
Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm able to Roto Brush my clip to extract out just my subject.  That leaves me with a solid black background which I can toggle to a checkerboard.  I'm able to render the composition file to my PC but have two issues:

1.  the imported video file is being saved as an AVI file when I move it to my PC.  Why isn't it being saved as an mp4 file?

2.  I want my background to be transparent so, when I move the file back to my PC, I can take the moving image of the person and overlay it into my Camtasia video without having to see the background.

Thanks for any help you can share.  -Ed-

TOPICS
Error or problem, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How to change background to transparent in AE for Roto-brushed file

New Here ,
Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm able to Roto Brush my clip to extract out just my subject.  That leaves me with a solid black background which I can toggle to a checkerboard.  I'm able to render the composition file to my PC but have two issues:

1.  the imported video file is being saved as an AVI file when I move it to my PC.  Why isn't it being saved as an mp4 file?

2.  I want my background to be transparent so, when I move the file back to my PC, I can take the moving image of the person and overlay it into my Camtasia video without having to see the background.

Thanks for any help you can share.  -Ed-

TOPICS
Error or problem, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 27, 2020 0
Mylenium LATEST
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MP4 can't have transparencies, so using this format would negat the entire Rotobrush workflow and make it pointless. The rest is just a matter of reading the online help. AE isn't a program you can understand intuitively and in particular understanding the render settings is an art in itself. The default "lossless" is uncompressed AVI on PC, but naturally other formats may be more adequate for your workflow like using a PNG sequence or similar. Again, you need to educate yourself on the workflow as well as generally what formats support what features. Start here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/basics-rendering-exporting.html

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 27, 2020 0