• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to create a cylinder and rotate it in 3D - simulate slot machine reels

New Here ,
Sep 20, 2020 Sep 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I am looking to create something like the reels of a slot machine in a 3D space in AE. I was thinking this could be solved with  a cylinder shape in 3D

• I wish to be able to also apply image assets on the surface of the reels and these assets - I wish to be able to bend to the shape of the reel. 
  • I would like to have some camera effects of say, the camera moving in around and towards/away from the reels - essentially have these reels moving in 3D space
  • I'd like to make it appear as if the reels are spinning (and change the speed of the spinning) - some blur effect? 

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good luck with that. Not an AE job unless you have plug-ins like Element 3D and even then there are limitations. The default CC Cylinder effect that comes with AE is way too limited, anyway. You may even need to learn/ use a real 3D program, depending on how complex the 3D interaction is. Otherwise consider a simpler, static 2D version.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's too bad. Thanks for the info. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. It really depends on what look you want to end up with. If you want it ultra realistic then Mylennium is right, if however you want it less so then the CC Cylinder effect might do what you need. You can create the images moving in a flat pre-composition then in your main comp add the effect and play with the Rotation and XYZ position settings to simulate the camera.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a VERY simple example of what you can do quickly and easily with the native CC Cylinder effect, demonstrating that it also recognises camera moves etc in AE 3D space.  

Obviously with a bit more time a much more polished look can be achieved.  Reach out if you'd like the project file to assess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2022 Jan 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm working on a project with a similar goal to OP and it would be really helpful to have a look at the project file for that cylinder test if you still have it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines