• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to duplicate a pre-comp and make it independent

Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2015 Sep 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried to duplicate an effect and to make it independent but it keeps on making it the same.

from the top left box i have the Project screen with the composition A. i canot drill into the compostion A.

once i double click the composition A then the timeframe screen appears on the bottom. within there is many layers.

example layer 1 has effect with text and videos.  this is what i want to copy and duplicate to keep the effects but be able to change videos and texts.

I have tried all the ctrl + D and Ctrl C and V but to no avail.

Can someone help?

[Title updated by Mod.]

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Sep 25, 2015 Sep 25, 2015

marikon96357335, If you duplicated a comp in the Project Panel then it is a unique copy of the original comp and any changes made to that comp cannot effect the original. If there is a nested comp (pre-comp) inside the original comp then you will also have to duplicate the nested comp. There is something wrong with your workflow. All comps in the Project panel are completely unique and have no relationship with other comps in the project unless there is a common nested comp in more than one comp

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Jul 23, 2020 Jul 23, 2020

Hi.

I don't know if i am late but i was having this same issue. Googled it and landed here.

I thought i had to die because this issue was so irritating. When i read answers here, as Rick_Gerard mentioned that duplicate you pre-comp in project panel instead of layers area, I listened him and did the same. It worked. 

1. Make duplicate of pre-comp in project panel

2. Drag that copied pre-comp down in the layer area.

3. Its done.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2018 Apr 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You saved me a lot of time, your option is the fastest. Can't understand either that there is not a better option for such a common thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 21, 2023 Mar 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! This is what finally helped me. I'm completely green in After Effects, so this step by step tutorial helped me (& hopefully someone else like me) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33GX1nd8v2Q

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2016 Aug 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

or get this free (pay what you want) script:

True Comp Duplicator - aescripts + aeplugins - aescripts.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 30, 2018 Oct 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a new Script to do this, just as True Comp Duplicator but straight from the timeline:

True Layer Duplicator, It's 100% Free!

You just need to select a comp based layer from the timeline, press Ctrl/Cmd+Alt+D to duplicate a layer and it's inner hierarchy.

Cheers!

True-Layer-Duplicator.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 21, 2019 Mar 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tried this out and it works and is super easy to install and use (i'm an AE noob)

thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 21, 2019 Mar 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will say, the new-ish functionality of Master Properties makes a lot of this obsolete in many cases. It's way more powerful to be able to change a few things, but keep the rest linked for ease of making changes on client feedback or whatnot. Master Properties are a massive time saver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2019 Jun 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the successful answer. Thank you!Screen Shot 2019-06-12 at 10.35.15 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2022 Jun 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

check out this link. hope it helps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGGLAW8192U

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2020 Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

I don't know if i am late but i was having this same issue. Googled it and landed here.

I thought i had to die because this issue was so irritating. When i read answers here, as Rick_Gerard mentioned that duplicate you pre-comp in project panel instead of layers area, I listened him and did the same. It worked. 

1. Make duplicate of pre-comp in project panel

2. Drag that copied pre-comp down in the layer area.

3. Its done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2020 Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hahaha, I have to agree with Nitin! If you are looking for the solution - Rick is correct!
1) Duplicate the pre-comp in the project panel
2) Drag that copied pre-comp down in the layer area
If it is a matter of scale and/or position, just copy the attributes from the original pre-comp in the timeline.

I understand the frustration but, y'all can't expect everything to be so convenient. At some point you just have to do the work. Don't give devs a hard time for nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 24, 2021 Aug 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But then I make changes to the new one and it also happens to the original 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Master Properties is a fantastic "new" feature BUT for text layers/fields I have noticed the following:

1) To edit the text itself in one of the clones you have to right click on the property then chose edit. Not obvious at all at first. It's not possible to directly edit the text normally from the preview window.

2) You can make some attributes like font, size, etc. part of the Master but not other important other properties like paragraph alignment (left, center, right). The permitted options are very limited at this moment and current AE version.

Am I mistaken? Would love to be proven wrong as these are really annoying to me. Thanks for any input!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2021 Mar 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the project panel: 

- select the comp you want to duplicate

- press CMD + D (Mac) or CTRL + D (Windows) to duplicate

- drag the new comp into your layers 

With this method, you should be able to edit the new comp without changing the old one. I've been using AE for a while and it is confusing. My natural inclination is to right click and "create new comp using selection" and edit from there but that changes all the comps.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2022 Apr 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if this helps, but I duplicated the Pre-comp 1(I'll call it Y), and there's another pre-comp inside that Y, I've duplicated that as well (I'll call it A). 
So I have Y and Y.2

A and A.2
So I'll be having A inside the Y (Y>A)
And I'll be having A.2 inside the Y.2 (Y.2>A.2)
Therefore, I could change the A.2 now, without changing the original one which was A.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2022 Apr 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And If you have 1 pre-composed (we call it "a"). Pre composed that "a" into "A".
Now duplicated that "A" and "a"
So now you have (A>a)
And (A2>a2)
Which means a2 inside A2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 26, 2023 May 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is one more way, that you want to duplicate the comp/pre-comp and don't want to link with the original.

1. Save the current Ae file.

2. Save as the current file with another name.

3. Now delete all the other files from the project panel, just don't delete the file which you want to duplicate.

4. Now save again.

5. Open again the main ae file and import the 2nd ae file which you have saved as with the other name.

6. Now you can drag and drop the comps/pre-comps from the project panel to the layers panel and use them. It won't get linked with the original comps, even if the names are the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2023 Dec 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had this same issue and found the advice here was not really that sufficient.  Yes you can manually replace all sub camps in a duplicated comp but taht can quickly become a non starter when working in a complex project.  Or when working in a project you did not make where you are not familiar with how everything is set up.  I found this script/plug in that solves this problem.  As of Dec 2023 it seems it is still supported and working. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ1KIS65Djo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines