Highlighted

How to enable OpenGL for new GPUs in AE CS4?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know, CS4 is quite old and unsupported.

However, one of my old project PCs needed a clean reinstallation, and now AE CS4 does not detect the GPU (OpenGL).

My GPU is "GeForce GTX 1060 6GB/PCIe/SSE2" (taken from sniffer_gpu.exe). sniffer_gpu.exe also reports that OpenGL 2.0 is supported, and the GPU has NPOT support.

The GPU is detected and enabled in Photoshop CS4 by default.

How do I enable the GPU support in After Effects CS4 9.0.3.8? The CS6 approach (cuda_supported_cards.txt) seems not be available for CS4 (file does not exists).

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by Mylenium | Most Valuable Participant

Don't bother, honestly. The one function that it was used for, Fast Draft, is not even comparable to current versions and even today AE's hardware acceleration is severely limited. Even if you could get it to work, you simply wouldn't notice any difference. I would only put up with it if you plan on using specific plug-ins that may require OpenGL support independently from AE. However, even then you may simply need to accept that they might not work. NVidia have pulled 32bit support from their drivers last year, which, BTW, is likely also the case your AE doesn't see it whereas  the 64bit PS can. So if at all, you may have to install an old, old NVidia driver, but that may have other ill effects. So again: It's likely not worth bothering with any of this.

Mylenium

TOPICS
Error or problem, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How to enable OpenGL for new GPUs in AE CS4?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know, CS4 is quite old and unsupported.

However, one of my old project PCs needed a clean reinstallation, and now AE CS4 does not detect the GPU (OpenGL).

My GPU is "GeForce GTX 1060 6GB/PCIe/SSE2" (taken from sniffer_gpu.exe). sniffer_gpu.exe also reports that OpenGL 2.0 is supported, and the GPU has NPOT support.

The GPU is detected and enabled in Photoshop CS4 by default.

How do I enable the GPU support in After Effects CS4 9.0.3.8? The CS6 approach (cuda_supported_cards.txt) seems not be available for CS4 (file does not exists).

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by Mylenium | Most Valuable Participant

Don't bother, honestly. The one function that it was used for, Fast Draft, is not even comparable to current versions and even today AE's hardware acceleration is severely limited. Even if you could get it to work, you simply wouldn't notice any difference. I would only put up with it if you plan on using specific plug-ins that may require OpenGL support independently from AE. However, even then you may simply need to accept that they might not work. NVidia have pulled 32bit support from their drivers last year, which, BTW, is likely also the case your AE doesn't see it whereas  the 64bit PS can. So if at all, you may have to install an old, old NVidia driver, but that may have other ill effects. So again: It's likely not worth bothering with any of this.

Mylenium

TOPICS
Error or problem, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 13, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 13, 2020 1