Highlighted

How to fill to only a portion of a precomped shape layer (used as alpha track Matte) for photo

New Here ,
Oct 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am trying to figure out a video tutorial on making a slideshow. The tutorial is on YouTube at URL attached . A solid is created for the matte that will work with the photo as a reveal. The matte and image is precomped into a top and bottom portion of the photo. I am using AE version 17.1.4 and when I apply a Fill effect to the precomped "Top" precomp, the fill covers the entire photo. In the tutorial the fill only covers a portion of the photo

hey, guys hope you are having a great day so in this, after effects tutorial, we will learn to create an Elegant Slide Animation in After Effects from scratc...
TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How to fill to only a portion of a precomped shape layer (used as alpha track Matte) for photo

New Here ,
Oct 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am trying to figure out a video tutorial on making a slideshow. The tutorial is on YouTube at URL attached . A solid is created for the matte that will work with the photo as a reveal. The matte and image is precomped into a top and bottom portion of the photo. I am using AE version 17.1.4 and when I apply a Fill effect to the precomped "Top" precomp, the fill covers the entire photo. In the tutorial the fill only covers a portion of the photo

hey, guys hope you are having a great day so in this, after effects tutorial, we will learn to create an Elegant Slide Animation in After Effects from scratc...
TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 16, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd give that tutorial a C. The workflow is OK but overly complex and almost adequately explained.

If you apply to fill a layer that has transparency then the fill will not fill in the extra pixels. Applying fill to a copy of the pre-comp should not fill in the alpha channel, you should still see an animated curve, but if the fill is applied to the top layer the photo will be hidden. Fill needs to be applied to the layer below the original image. Start soloing layers and you'll figure it out.

The presenter's workflow is way too complicated. You can achieve the very same effect with 3 layers and no pre-comps. I would have animated a mask or a shape layer to generate the track matte, then duplicated it or tied the properties together and added a stroke to the top copy of the mask (track matte) layer. The comp would look like this and it took me less than 5 minutes to create. 

Screenshot_2020-10-16 20.59.37_jUwRc1.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 16, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick, Thank you very much for the help. Unfortunately I don't follow what you did.You show layer 1 is a shape copy. Where is the original shape layer? Is the original layer no. 2 with the shape animated? And the animated shape is rotated 180 degree to create the bottom reveal of the image? 

Sorry to be a bother, but would appreciate a litle further info.

Thanks again, Rick.

George

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 18, 2020 0
Oct 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe the naming is confusing you. I animated a mask on a solid, duplicated the layer, expanded the mask, and added a stroke to the mask. The original layer is not layer 2 and I used that as a track matte for layer 3.

I tried to explain that the original tutorial is a very poor and complicated workflow, but if you want to use the original then you are applying fill to the wrong layer. You have to apply Fill to a layer that is below the layer with the video. The presenter's project uses a solid layer, adds an effect, animates the effect, then makes a copy of the layer without linking any of the animations in the copy to the original layer, rotates the duplicate to create the wipe effect. Then instead of pre-composing both of the layers and using that as a track matte for the original image, he duplicates the original footage and uses each independent layer as a track matte for the original footage further complicating the project and making it more difficult to modify the animation in any way. Then, instead of just duplicating the copy of the track matte and dragging it below the image layer, he pre-composes both pairs again, then duplicates again, then applies the Fill effect to both of the copies of the layers and offsets both layers in time, further complicating the animation and the project.

If you want to keep the original comp structure then start by removing the fill from all layers, turn off all layers, except the bottom layer. Apply Fill to the bottom layer, then turn on the next layer. You should see the image with the fill behind it. Then turn on the third layer and you should see the other half of the image. Apply fill to that layer and then turn on the top layer. You should now see the other half of the image. 

Carefully look at the last part of the tutorial where he is applying the fill. It's around 7 minutes in. Look for the little FX icon to appear on layers 2 and 4. Those are the layers with the fill applied.

I'll throw together a tutorial sometime today that shows how to create this kind of a transition using any shape you want. There will be less than 10 keyframes and only 2 nested comps required to create a fancy track matte for any layer.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 19, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

Thank you so very, very much for all your assistance on this effect. I
think a tutorial would be awesome and I'll be the first to view it!

Again, thank you, Rick for all your help

George

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 19, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

I was hoping you put together a tutorial on how to do the fill to shape layer. I hope I didn't miss it.

Thanks for all your help, Rick.

George

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 23, 2020 0
Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The tutorial is recorded but the VO is not complete. I have been busy but I'll post it as soon as I get it done.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 23, 2020 0