• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to key frame Longevity in particle system ?

Explorer ,
Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to animate the longevity of particles in my particle system, but there's no time clock for longevity, only for birth rate. Is there a way around this? Thanks.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's just how particle systems work in general and the simple effects that come free with AE cannot do any such trickery like defining variable lifespans based on certain criteria. If you need more control, you have to spend money on Stardust or Particular. Otherwise there may be other techniques that give similar results, but without an explanation of what you are actually trying to achieve nobody can advise.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's kind of a bummer. I mean, you can keyframe almost everything but they left out Longevity, which is an important one.  Is it laziness or plain stupidity? Suck anyway. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What particle system are you using? Everyone that I know has a longevity setting. CC Particle world does not allow you to animate the longevity setting but you set opacity over time. 

What particle system are you using and what are you trying to do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using CC Particle System II. Here's what I have so far. I managed to tweek some of the settings around but it's not perfect. Keyframing Longevity would have been faster and better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mRR8TMDM90&feature=youtu.be

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know how you did it but I would have just used multiple layers with different birth rates, different velocity, and a different opacity map or you could just use one layer and one copy of CC Particle world and just animated Birth Rate, Velocity, and Resistance. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Rick. I played around with birth rates and velocities. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines