• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to make a Mac after effects file compatible with windows?

New Here ,
Jul 05, 2014 Jul 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have made a intro template for my subs on my youtube channel. I made it in after effects with my mac and have tried to test out the template to see if it works by giving it to my friends. Theyre on pc and whenever they try to open it theres an error about it being made on macintosh and they arent able to open it. If anyone knows how to fix this plz help me thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 05, 2014 Jul 05, 2014

After Effects project files are not OS dependent. Most likely the message they are getting is a notification that they are using a different version of After Effects than you are. This message includes which version of After Effects, and on which OS, the file was created.

So the question you should be asking is: what version of After Effects do you have and what version do your friends have?

If your friends have a newer version of After Effects than you do, all they need to do is click OK and the

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After Effects project files are not OS dependent. Most likely the message they are getting is a notification that they are using a different version of After Effects than you are. This message includes which version of After Effects, and on which OS, the file was created.

So the question you should be asking is: what version of After Effects do you have and what version do your friends have?

If your friends have a newer version of After Effects than you do, all they need to do is click OK and the project file will open.

If your friends have an older version of After Effects than you do, the situation is slightly more difficult. After Effects projects are not backwards compatible. But you can use the File > Save As > Save a Copy As CC (or CS6, CS5.5, etc.) to save one version back. If your friends are using a version of After Effects that is more than one version older, you'll need to do this progressively through multiple older versions.

Since you are making a template, note that when you save as a previous version, any functionality that is new in a given version will be stripped out when you save it as a previous version. For example, compositing options and masks for effects are new in After Effects CC 2014 (13.0) and won't be present in a copy of the file saved as After Effects CC (12.0).

Note that if your project uses source footage files, your friends may need to use the Replace Footage command in After Effects to locate the files, since file paths are different on Mac OS than they are on Windows. Tip: using the Collect Files command before you send the project will bypass this problem.

If your friends continue to have issues with your project file, please post more details to this forum, or better yet have them post here.

Makes sense?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok yeah my friend sent me the error message it said it couldnt open becuase im using version 12.2.1 and hes using 11.0.4 so if i save it as a cs6 it should work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nvm It Worked saving it as CS6 Thx For The Help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 17, 2016 Dec 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Sir,

My video is a motion graphics project.

There are no footage. There are characters and element drawn on Photoshop and illustrator CS6.

The After effect is CC. Will I still have the issue ?

Should I save all the elements ( footages ) in older PS and Ai

and then replace them in current Ae file

and then save Ae file in older versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the PC user has a version of AE that is the same or newer than the Mac used to create the original then the files will open. There may be incompatibility if you used video footage that is saved in a format that only a Mac will read (there are very few of these) but only the incompatible video footage will not open on the PC, the project should open just fine. Check the versions of AE on both machines. If you still have problems then tell us how you are making your AET files and exactly what kind of footage you have in the template.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Sir,

My video is a motion graphics project.

There are no footage. There are characters and element drawn on Photoshop and illustrator CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

older version of Ae cannot open project files that were made in newer versions of Ae no matter and unrelated to the content inside the project file.

No, just save the Ae project file as CS6 if you plan to send it to a workstation with Ae CS6. if they plan to edit the images themselves in Ps and Ai then it could be important to match the version in these Apps as well but it depends on the specific elements inside.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So , If I have to open in older version I just need to save the Ae file in older version, without worrying about footages inside. Even if they are in Ps and AI CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 18, 2016 Dec 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2019 Mar 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

I have a PC with AE 15.1.2.

I received a file from an agency. They have a Mac with AE 16.0.1.

I'm trying to update my AE, but 15.1.2 lokks like the newest I can download...

Where can I find the 16.0.1. ?

Can't open the AE files and that's definitely not good for my business right now...

Thanks

Vincent

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can't download it,  it means it won't work with your operating system.  What are you running?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PC, Windows 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Time to call customer service.  You should be able to get it.  you have 8gigs RAM minimum, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got 16 !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of Windows 10 do you have? Version 16 of After Effects (commonly called CC 2019) requires Microsoft Windows 10 (64 bit) versions 1703 (Creators Update) and later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2020 Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello Adobe e customer service, i have a question, is the ae templates works with ae on a mac? i know about the same versions about adobe, but i mean, about the files ( template) will work with ae on apple mac?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines