Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how to not use keyboard shortcuts in After Effects

Engaged ,
May 25, 2020 May 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I'm just learning After Effects and the tutorials I'm following from the Adobe website are full of keyboard shortcuts.  I use several complex programs and can't memorize keyboard shortcuts for each of them, so I get around mainly with the mouse.  Is there any way to move around the After Effects timeline using clicks instead of  keyboard shortcuts?  For example, Premiere has controls you can click to go to the next in or out point.  Is there anything like that in After Effects? Thanks.

Zaffer

TOPICS
User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Valorous Hero , May 25, 2020 May 25, 2020

The SHIFT key will be your best friend for quickly navigating the Timeline - you must at least remember one shortcut key.
The SHIFT key snaps the Current Time Indicator (CTI aka playhead) to pertinent points in the Timeline. Pertinent points are defined as Keyframes, Layer In/Out Points, Layer Markers and Comp markers.

To invoke this Timeline Snap feature -

1) drag the CTI and then quickly hold down the SHIFT key

2) click within the Timeline's Ruler Area and hold down the SHIFT key and drag, to

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can see the list of AE shortcut. It is also customizable.

https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/keyboard-shortcuts-reference.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but I'm trying to avoid keyboard shortcuts -- trying to find places to click instead of using keyboard shortcuts, particularly moving in the timeline.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The SHIFT key will be your best friend for quickly navigating the Timeline - you must at least remember one shortcut key.
The SHIFT key snaps the Current Time Indicator (CTI aka playhead) to pertinent points in the Timeline. Pertinent points are defined as Keyframes, Layer In/Out Points, Layer Markers and Comp markers.

To invoke this Timeline Snap feature -

1) drag the CTI and then quickly hold down the SHIFT key

2) click within the Timeline's Ruler Area and hold down the SHIFT key and drag, to snap to a pertinent point in time

HTH

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 26, 2020 May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks HTH, That's just what I was looking for.  Yes, I can handle the shift key!

Zaffer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are no tools in AE that let you jump to the next in point or find the Layer/Transform/Rotation property so if you want to work efficiently you will have to learn a few of the basic keyboard shortcuts. Some of them are common to all apps like Ctrl/Cmnd + Z for undo, Shift + Ctrl/Cmnd + Z for redo, Ctrl/Cmnd + X to cut, Ctrl/Cmnd + Y to paste, Ctrl/Cmnd + N for a New Comp. There is really nothing new to learn for a lot of the shortcuts.

Most of the most common keyboard shortcuts make perfect sense. Pressing the letter I will move you to the in point of any selected layer, O moves to the outpoint. U reveals all keyframes in a layer. If no layers are selected U reveals all keyframes in all layers. The J and K keys jump back and forth between keyframes in the timeline. You shouldn't have to spend any time learning to remember these if you use AE for more than a couple of hours a week. All of the Layer/Transform Properties are available by pressing the first letter of the property. A for Anchor Point, P for position, S for Scale, rotation is R, and opacity is T because O is already taken for outpoint. Just think transparency when you want opacity. Hold down the Alt/Option key and all of those shortcuts will be revealed and a keyframe set or removed from the timeline at the current time (CTI).

All menu items that have keyboard shortcuts show them right on the menu just right of the menu option so these are pretty easy to pick up the more you use the program. The only hard part about associating the keyboard shortcuts with the action is learning what the funny little icons mean. For example, from the Layer menu on a Mac:

Screen Shot 2020-05-25 at 11.34.05 PM.png

Deciphering the hydrographic, a new Text is created by pressing Alt/Option + Shift + Ctrl/CMnd + T. A new solid is Ctrl/Cmnd + Y. I don't know anybody that sat down and memorized these, but I've seen more than I can count pick them up by just looking at the menu and using them a few times.

Rather than trying to avoid memorizing keyboard shortcuts, start using the common ones, the ones that you use all the time and in a couple of days they will be second nature. The time savings and the corporal tunnel syndrome relief are well worth it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 26, 2020 May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Rick,

Good advice.  I will try to implement it.

Zaffer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines