Highlighted

How to permanently disable bezier mask handles?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do a lot of masking in AE, and I frequently need to adjust the mask points frame by frame across thousands of frames of footage. But when you have many points, and you just want to move one point, and your cursor grabs a few millimeters outside of dead center, it automatically turns to a bezier handle instead of highlighting and grabbing the vertex I need.

I never use bezier handles. Ever. Can I permantly turn them off? Is there a different selection tool I should be using to just quickly grab & move vertex points and NEVER convert them to beziers? 

Thanks for your suggestions. 

TOPICS
How to, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How to permanently disable bezier mask handles?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do a lot of masking in AE, and I frequently need to adjust the mask points frame by frame across thousands of frames of footage. But when you have many points, and you just want to move one point, and your cursor grabs a few millimeters outside of dead center, it automatically turns to a bezier handle instead of highlighting and grabbing the vertex I need.

I never use bezier handles. Ever. Can I permantly turn them off? Is there a different selection tool I should be using to just quickly grab & move vertex points and NEVER convert them to beziers? 

Thanks for your suggestions. 

TOPICS
How to, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 13, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Sep 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope. If your roto work is that complex, you might want to consider other tools. AE's masking stuff is simply hopelessly outdated and anything but easy or intuitive.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 13, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The easiest way to do complex masking is to use Rotobezier. The other thing you should be doing is selecting the path you are editing in the timeline and then use the selection tool to select and move the vertices. If the path is not selected it is very difficult to use the selection tool to select or move paths. You can also use the pen tool and the Alt/Option and Ctrl/Cmnd keys as modifiers.

You should also be breaking your masks up into sections. I never mask anything that is complicated using a single mask. Check out Effects Corner: Rotoscoping - Part 1 by my friend Scott Squires, then move on to Part 2. In the article, Scott uses Commotion, which is no longer available, but the technique is exactly the same. I have been doing roto work in AE for more than 20 years and I rarely have to make adjustments on more than 2 or 3 consecutive frames. Most of the time I just look for a change in the direction of the motion, set a keyframe, and then wait for the motion to change direction again. It then usually only takes one or two additional keyframes to fix up the roto. I also use a lot of Motion Stabilizing when I do roto work. Anything you can do to make life easier. I also rarely do hand roto on the original footage. I use a shape layer with a color and a blend mode that lets me see through the layer so I can easily see the edges, and when the matte is done I just use the layer as a track matte. I also use Mocha AE for roto work. For some projects, it can save you hours and hours of time. 

Here's a tutorial I did a long time ago that shows the basic workflow for efficient rotoscoping.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 13, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick, thanks for the tips.

I watched Scott's videos as well as some more current RotoBrush tutorials. However, all of these seem to apply to "cutting out" the subject, which I'm not attempting to do. For example, if there is a hairline on an actor that I need to fix, I can use Mocha if it's something simple like a blemish removal, but if I have to generally blur the forehead only, I need to track head turns and shadows, something that neither AE or Mocha does well. So manual AE mask with blur effect is my current method, reshaping the mask as they turn their heads, etc. Skin and hair are often similar colors, so I can't use a color mask. 

Would you suggest a different method?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 21, 2020 0