Highlighted

how to recreate these videos + photos

Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm currently undergoing a Linkedin by Deke McLelland on Photoshop. During the course I take down every note possible on the tools I am being shown, there functionalities and the shortcuts plus the purpose of the tool and what they create. 

Its to be then followed up with the same studying method when I tackle the advanced Photoshop courses + onto Illustrator Beginners, Illustrator Intermediate, Illustrator Advanced and then onto After effects... and so on. 

Now the question I have is, based off of the five varying photos and media video below, I'm doing this lengthy study to make sure I can recreate manipulate, edit and colour images with the addition of special effects and texts like below. I, however, need to be able how to create motion with those lines in each of the photos, whether it be the lines fading in, coming from the side, coming from above, I just want to learn the techniques of motion to make those still images into 5 to 10-second motion graphics and move onto the next frame like a continuous slide show with all the elements of the below media animated for video effect. 

I'm prepared to put the hours in to learn the breadth of all the following programmes however is there any advice to make my learning process more disciplined and focused on the product I wish to create? is there anything I should be specifically focusing on In my learning and or even anything I needn't focus on. 

Any advice would be hugely appreciated!

Kindest regards

Michael Okorodudu 

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

how to recreate these videos + photos

Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm currently undergoing a Linkedin by Deke McLelland on Photoshop. During the course I take down every note possible on the tools I am being shown, there functionalities and the shortcuts plus the purpose of the tool and what they create. 

Its to be then followed up with the same studying method when I tackle the advanced Photoshop courses + onto Illustrator Beginners, Illustrator Intermediate, Illustrator Advanced and then onto After effects... and so on. 

Now the question I have is, based off of the five varying photos and media video below, I'm doing this lengthy study to make sure I can recreate manipulate, edit and colour images with the addition of special effects and texts like below. I, however, need to be able how to create motion with those lines in each of the photos, whether it be the lines fading in, coming from the side, coming from above, I just want to learn the techniques of motion to make those still images into 5 to 10-second motion graphics and move onto the next frame like a continuous slide show with all the elements of the below media animated for video effect. 

I'm prepared to put the hours in to learn the breadth of all the following programmes however is there any advice to make my learning process more disciplined and focused on the product I wish to create? is there anything I should be specifically focusing on In my learning and or even anything I needn't focus on. 

Any advice would be hugely appreciated!

Kindest regards

Michael Okorodudu 

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 23, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, to be straight: Ditch your overly academic approach or you'll never really learn anything. That applies for both your PS stuff and any future expansion into the realm of motion graphics/ video. If you're struggling to grasp and re-create basic stuff and have to look up notes, then perhaps it's not for you. You need to work up a reasonably intuitive understanding of what each tool and function does, not refer to write-ups telling you which brush to use or what values to dial in. That's ultimately the point with any creative work: Different combinations and workflows yield different results and you'll achieve nothing if you don't have that gut intelligence and can whip stuff up without thinking. You wouldn't think twice about how to hold a pencil if you want to draw something, if you get my point. As far as all the animation stuff goes, there's nothing specific there. All just basic keyframing, a bit of masking here and there and then the clever application of other basic techniques like using shape layers or understanding effects' parameters and animating them. None of it is too complicated and you can pretty much find tutorials for each individual step, but the real trick will still be adapting the techniques to your own designs and combining them in such a fashion that it looks awesome.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 24, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

understood i know my method is almost over kill its just - This medium has many functionalities and I don't know them at all. My knowledge is foundationless, I only want to know what is required to learn these few images + videos. I play the piano and am undergoing an art course, all very methodical approaches teaching the basic to then the be able to be expressive/improvise. I just want to know the 10 or 20 techniques necessary in each app to do the images plus videos and I can go from there - the exhaustive approach is not my go to believe me, just need to know the fundamentals that's all 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 25, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, you need to loosen up. This isn't like learning a classical musical piece and the rhythm of the metronome. Think of it more like Jazz or ballet. As far as "10 or 20 fundamental" techniques go - there isn't such a thing. Again, you're not learning chords, octaves and cadences, you're learning freestyle. You can have entire projects just working with canned presets and standard effects and the next day you find yourself knee-deep in using features you never have used before. If you really need a structured approach, first make your mind up what you want to do primarily - motion graphics for advertising is different from doing similar stuff for news broadcasts and that again is totally different from doing visual effects for movies and series. Then find yourself a reference project that has at least a sound combination of a few techniques and try to dissect it, after which you can look up individual tutorials to reverse-engineer the clip. As Andrew already set, you have to be hands-on and learn a bit every day just like practice keeps your musical abilities and evolves them. Given how endless the possibilities are, there's simply no way to exhaustively learn even a single technique, as its practical application will still change with each new project/ context, and you can forget about learning everything. You could focus all your energy e.g. on perfecting your masking skills to become a good roto artist, but might still fail miserably at other stuff. Even I would never claim to know everything in AE and I've worked with teh program for almost 20 years. That's just how it is...

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 25, 2020 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Mylenium that you seem to be approaching your goals with too much emphasis on study, rather than a more practical approach.  Artists need to understand their tools, of course, but art is also about inspiration and aptitude.  

Don't get bogged down in the theory.  Do some tutorials and learn the basics, then work on some simple projects of your own to refine your skills and undertsanding.  Then you'll be better placed to ask specific questions on forums like this.

Great resources for beginners here in the official Adobe After Effects Getting Started library:

https://helpx.adobe.com/au/after-effects/tutorials.html

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 25, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Understood - thank you guys! 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 01, 2020 0