• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to rename dynamic link in Premiere & After effect?

Participant ,
Apr 17, 2020 Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

I often embed AE compositions within Premiere using dynamic link. 

if I rename the Dynamic Link in Premiere, it does not update automatically in AE. 

Is there a way to do so without renaming the compostion both in Pr & Ae individually? 

Thank you for your help, 

-Jessie

TOPICS
Dynamic link , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 17, 2020 Apr 17, 2020

If you don't rename the comps in After Effects they are easy to identify. For example, I have these linked AE projects in Premiere Pro:

Music 20-0411 Linked Comp 03/Cut 1.aep

Music 20-0411 Linked Comp 04/Cut 1.aep

Music 20-0411 Linked Comp 06/Cut 1.aep

Music 20-0411 is the name of the Premiere Pro project and it follows my Project Naming Convention. 

The first linked comp is Comp 3 in the comp named Cut 1.aep, which also follows my naming conventions. 

When you open the AEP all you have to d

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Renaming a video or a photo in the media library does not rename the original source file, and I'm glad it doesn't. That would create a real mess in AE or Premiere Pro. Renaming a file in its folder or moving the folder will break the link to the file in Premiere Pro, Davinci, Nuke, After Effects - in any app that uses a reference to a file. If you want to rename the AE comp or change the name in the Project Panel or the Media Library in Premiere then the workflow is to rename the original file first, then go back and re-link the asset in the appropriate app. That's the only thing that makes any sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rick for answering so quickly. 

Apologies, my question was not clear enough.

I don't want to change the name of the footage, it would be confusing and create linking issues. 

I try to change the Dynamic Link default name:

When I create a Dynamic link (ie: right click >"replace with after effect composition"), Premiere automatically assign a default name to the DL:

"Premiere Project name Linked Comp ## / After Effect Project name.aep"

In my case it would be something like:

"PR-Jessie Linked Comp 01/AE- Jessie.aep"

this is the part I would like to change, so I can easily identify which Comp I work on in AE. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you don't rename the comps in After Effects they are easy to identify. For example, I have these linked AE projects in Premiere Pro:

Music 20-0411 Linked Comp 03/Cut 1.aep

Music 20-0411 Linked Comp 04/Cut 1.aep

Music 20-0411 Linked Comp 06/Cut 1.aep

Music 20-0411 is the name of the Premiere Pro project and it follows my Project Naming Convention. 

The first linked comp is Comp 3 in the comp named Cut 1.aep, which also follows my naming conventions. 

When you open the AEP all you have to do is go to Comp1. 

There are no settings in Preferences that allow you to change the naming structure. Nothing is preventing you from renaming Comp 1 in After Effects to something like Comp 1 - Motion Stabilize the graphic. That way you can still easily find Comp 1 but you now have some idea what you are doing in Comp 1. That is also part of my standard workflow.

There is one thing I think I might find a little more useful. You can rename a clip in a Premiere Pro Sequence. I do this all the time. It would be nice if the clip name in the PPro sequence became the comp name in AE. That might make things a little easier and it would save me some typing. Maybe I will submit a feature request. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 20, 2020 Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great - That is a perfect idea to organize oneself. I will do that from now on. 

Thanks again for sharing your workflow tip. 

-Jessie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines