• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to set "output to/comp name" to always substitute previously rendered files?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2020 Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! How can I set the "output to/comp name" in a way to always substitute previously rendered files?
I'm having trouble when rendering new versions: since latest updates, AE adds a number 1 and render a different file. I'm looking for a way to set the default output to substitute files, not creating a new version.
Thanks!

TOPICS
Error or problem , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Valorous Hero , Sep 25, 2020 Sep 25, 2020

In the Render Queue, select one or more previous renders and hit the CTRL+SHIFT+D to re-render while keeping the same location and filename. HTH

Votes

Translate

Translate
Valorous Hero ,
Sep 25, 2020 Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Render Queue, select one or more previous renders and hit the CTRL+SHIFT+D to re-render while keeping the same location and filename. HTH

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2020 Sep 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Roland!
This is an alternate solution I will surely use, but this obligates me to keep the render queue really really tight and organized or  toalways go looking file by file in the render queue. It wasnt like this before, the default was the substitution of the file. This change complicated things. I think Adobe should configure a preset to solve this: simply to choose beetween rename the file or substitute. I understand this is a matter of workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Sep 28, 2020 Sep 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been a really long time since the previous, default behavior was changed. I believe the reason for the change was with users inadvertently overwriting their earlier renders when they were rendering a different Work Area of the same comp.

I find myself cleaning up my Render Queue occasionally - it's quite a necessity regardless of which re-render behavior is at play. It's just a matter of gettng used to it. BTW, you may select multiple 'old' renders in the Render Queue and hit the CTRL+SHIFT+D shortcut to bath render them. HTH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2020 Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Roland,
However, within my workflow where I only render full comps and need constant alterations, it's harder now.

What if the sotware let us  select multiple renders in the queue and change all of the "Output to:" with one click?  This is how output module works, maybe its a good idea to aplly the same function to "Output to:".

In my corporate PC this default behavior change only happened a few months ago, dont know why.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Sep 30, 2020 Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

AE comes with a pre-installed script, "Change Render Locations.jsx" which allows you to set the output file location for pre-rendered comps that you select in the Render Queue. This script is found in the subfolder "Scripts" within the main AE folder.

You may also enable visibility of the Comment Column in the Render Queue by right-clicking on the Column Label/Header and selecting to show Column. This may come in handy.

You may also send in a feature request.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines