• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to trim audio less than a frame in After Effects?

Explorer ,
Apr 17, 2019 Apr 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems like a fairly obvious and simple question, but I can't find the answer anywhere. I'm relatively new to AE--I come from the audio world in which it is possible to trim an audio clip right down to the teensiest waveform--in literally any DAW that exists. So why wouldn't it be possible to do that right within AE? We recorded the audio for our current project in ProTools, separately from the video, and now it's about half a frame off from the video. Ultimately, it will be hard to notice, but even so, it's eating me up--there's gotta be a way (other than going into Premiere---we don't have any cuts, just one shot with green screen and animation, so it doesn't make sense to link to Pr).

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Valorous Hero , Apr 17, 2019 Apr 17, 2019

Trimming may seem easy but there is some engineering required to things work sub-frame. It's a good idea to think of Adobe's DVA tools as a set of tools that work together. In, AE, you can select the Audio Layer and choose Edit in Audition, via the Edit Menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... and in every video editing software the smallest unit is a frame, therefore you do such things in an audio tool.

*Martin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AE is also not an editing software...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"-in literally any DAW that exists. So why wouldn't it be possible to do that right within AE?"

Because AE is not a DAW.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why? Why do you bother answering? What is the point of being a snide troll? Do you think you're being helpful?

If Ae doesn't have the capability, then you could say something like "Ae doesn't currently have this function. Here's a link to the suggestion area".

Just because Ae isn't  specifically a DAW or an editor doesn't mean it can't be used as such--especially for something as simple as trimming.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trimming may seem easy but there is some engineering required to things work sub-frame. It's a good idea to think of Adobe's DVA tools as a set of tools that work together. In, AE, you can select the Audio Layer and choose Edit in Audition, via the Edit Menu.

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Roland--this is a much more acceptable answer. Not the one I want (I want to be able to do EVERYTHING in Ae), but at least you've actually pointed us in the right direction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use Audition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It occurs to me to give your audio the exact duration of your video in the Layer / Time / Time Stretch menu option ... in "New Duration" you set the duration of your video so you will get a perfect synchronization and this change will be imperceptible.

Captura de Pantalla 2019-04-17 a la(s) 11.25.11.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

errmm..

Why? Why do you bother answering? What is the point of being a snide troll? Do you think you're being helpful?

Q:

I come from the audio world in which it is possible to trim an audio clip right down to the teensiest waveform [...]

So why wouldn't it be possible to do that right within AE?

A:

... and in every video editing software the smallest unit is a frame, therefore you do such things in an audio tool.

The first post is the answer. Don't blame us if you don't like it.

*Martin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2020 Feb 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue where I wanted sub-frametime aligned sync of a separately recorded audio track.

I worked around this by using the Delay effect. I.e, place the sound on the closest frame possible that is before your desired sync point. Then you set "Feedback" & "Dry Out" to 0%, "Delay Amount" & "Wet Out" to 100%, and you tweak the Delay Time parameter to get your audio in sync.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Best and most simple solution to my problem, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2023 Oct 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

this worked for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2020 Jun 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Old thread, but I feel you man, some of the community here are downright hostile to people learning the software and asking for help. I've found by prerendering the video and the increasing the frame rate to 60fps I was able to sync everything up, then move it back to 30fps - it's not 100% perfect, but it's a lot closer than one frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2021 Jul 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, you can increase your composition frame rate, adjust your audio position, and then take your frame rate back down. The audio will stay in the same position it was on the higher frame rate. This allows you to get smaller move increments without too much hassle. I know you can set a custom frame rate up to at least 300fps. If you're trying to sync things this allows you to see both waveforms in the timeline as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2023 Jun 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

respect man, put is into 120 and sync it properly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines