• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to view previous frame transparent across current frame

Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2018 Apr 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm doing a video with animation, and I would like to see the previous frame as I animate (a la dragonframe) in order to prevent mistakes.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Valorous Hero , Apr 30, 2018 Apr 30, 2018

Create an Adjustment Layer and place it at the top of the Timeline. Then apply Effects>Time>CC WideTime. Set the Forward Steps prop to 0 and the Backward Steps prop to 1 to view an overlay of the previous frame. Enable the Comp's Transparency Grid if you think it helps you with a clearer view .

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide , Apr 30, 2018 Apr 30, 2018

There's no onion skinning feature in After Effects unfortunately. However I sometimes use the Echo filter as a workaround.  You can toggle it on and off when you need to compare frames. Apply the Echo effect via the effects and presets panel and then set the time offset to whatever frame rate timing you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create an Adjustment Layer and place it at the top of the Timeline. Then apply Effects>Time>CC WideTime. Set the Forward Steps prop to 0 and the Backward Steps prop to 1 to view an overlay of the previous frame. Enable the Comp's Transparency Grid if you think it helps you with a clearer view .

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

how can i see last frame during paint?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no onion skinning feature in After Effects unfortunately. However I sometimes use the Echo filter as a workaround.  You can toggle it on and off when you need to compare frames. Apply the Echo effect via the effects and presets panel and then set the time offset to whatever frame rate timing you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2020 Mar 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks angie_taylor! This answer works best for my needs, as I am editing the layer, and not the composition. The other answer works if you are working in the composition instead of the layer. I had to hunt for the effect but it made sense when I thought about it:

Effects>Time>Echo

I found I needed to take my starting intensity down to .3-ish

My time for 1 frame was -0.033sec

Thanks again for giving me onion skinning in after effects layers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Mar 30, 2020 Mar 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad I could help 🙂 Thanks for letting us know how it worked 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines