Highlighted

HT Dissociate a copied precomp from its origin

New Here ,
Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

I apology in advance for my poor english.
So I'm a total beginner in AE and I animated a popping up character.

I need 4 other similar animations on my background, so I did a copy/paste, erased the keyframes which appeared when I changed the new precomp's position, and I thought everything was going smoothly, until I realised that all the changes I made on the 2nd precomp also applied on the 1rst one.

How to dissociate them please? I'm going crazy !

Thank you in advance,

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

HT Dissociate a copied precomp from its origin

New Here ,
Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

I apology in advance for my poor english.
So I'm a total beginner in AE and I animated a popping up character.

I need 4 other similar animations on my background, so I did a copy/paste, erased the keyframes which appeared when I changed the new precomp's position, and I thought everything was going smoothly, until I realised that all the changes I made on the 2nd precomp also applied on the 1rst one.

How to dissociate them please? I'm going crazy !

Thank you in advance,

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 20, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to duplicate compositions and keep them independent you have to duplicate compositions in the Project Panel. Duplicating a layer in the timeline does not make a new copy of the layer in the project, it only gives you another copy of the existing one.

I hope that is clear. It is a typical newbie mistake.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 20, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, thank you I got it !
Glad I'm not alone doing that mistake, AE's interface is kinda hard to assimilate on my own!

Thank you again!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 20, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Spend some time with the User Guide. It will save you more time in the first couple of weeks using AE than it will take you to learn the UI and basic workflows from the guide.

No doubt about it, AE is more complicated than just about any other video app.

AE-PPro.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 20, 2020 0