• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I'm having trouble loading AI files into AE

New Here ,
Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I import a file from AI with a name lie TEST_TEST1 and bring it in All acceptable files/composition-retain sizes. It comes in right. Then I import another this one is named TEST_TEST2 with the same settings and it brings in TEST_TEST1, not TEST_TEST2. I've purged the program, I've turned the computer off and on and it keeps doing the same thing. Am I naming the AI files wrong? Am I saving the AI files wrong. I can't figure out what is going on. Can someone help?

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , Jan 10, 2020 Jan 10, 2020

Open the AI files first and make sure that they don't have the same content and are named correctly. Then make sure, that you select the correct file. You don't need to import them one by one, but can mark both and import them. Once imported, there are two compositions with the name of the AI files and a corresponding folder with layers for each composition. Open each composition to see you artwork, or drag them into a new comp as layer.

In project panel, you can see the path AE is taken the fil

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 10, 2020 Jan 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably user error. Make sure everything has been deleted before you import the new AI file or organize the Project Panel in Folders so there is no confusion. Expand the Project Panel and doublecheck the path to the second file,  then use Edit Original to open it up and make sure that AE is pointing to the right file. If it is not, rename the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jan 10, 2020 Jan 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open the AI files first and make sure that they don't have the same content and are named correctly. Then make sure, that you select the correct file. You don't need to import them one by one, but can mark both and import them. Once imported, there are two compositions with the name of the AI files and a corresponding folder with layers for each composition. Open each composition to see you artwork, or drag them into a new comp as layer.

In project panel, you can see the path AE is taken the file from. Check this if the files are still coming in wrong.

The only mistake you can do when saving AI files for AE is to not opt-in "pdf compatibility". If you miss this, AI file won't display anything once in AE - that seems not the be the case.

Concering the naming, it's good practice to avoid special characters (!"§$%&/()=?`<#~>), but underscore, letters and numbers are usual no problem.

*Martin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2020 Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm having the same problem with underscores in AI file names. Right now I have 4 unique Illustrator files named:

EXC-chap4_19_fig1.ai

EXC-chap4_19_fig2.ai

EXC-chap4_19_fig3.ai

EXC-chap4_19_fig4.ai

When I try to import into AE the "fig3" file, AE insteads imports the "fig1" file.  In the AE project media window, this imported file is called "EXC-chap4_19_fig[1-4].ai".  Something about the final underscore seems to be confusing AE.  In any event, it always opens the first file using this naming convention.

WHOOPS, I'm updating this.  The answer to my problem wasn't in the underscore, or filename+path length, etc.  I had inadvertantly checked the Sequence Options box in the AI import dialog box, so it was treating these files as a sequence.  That explains the fig[1-4] in the AE project media file.  Sorry if I added to the confusion!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines