Highlighted

if I have made a very basic mask and tracked it on to an object can I attack a Png to it?

New Here ,
Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The mask tracker is much more useful than point tracking and i don't want to use mocha so i did all the tracking that i had to do with the track mask option but now i want to use that mask path as if it was regular tracking data exported to a null but nobody seem to have answered it where i looked.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Rick Gerard | Adobe Community Professional

Mask tracker is useful for some things but it is a lousy surface tracker. If you want to attach anything to the mask you'll need to run the Create Nulls from Paths/Nulls follow points script on the mask path. This will give you a group of nulls that have position information. If you want to average the positions to stick something to the mask then you need to create an expression that adds the position values of all the nulls and divides by the number of nulls. You can then fine-tune the position of the layer you want following the mask by adjusting and/or animating the anchor point. It's a lot easier just to use Mocha or the feature tracker (AE does not have a point tracker),  and you'll get a more accurate track of a surface. 

If your mask had 5 points the expression would look something like this:

a = thisComp.layer("My Footage: Mask 1 [1.0]").transform.position;
b = thisComp.layer("My Footage: Mask 1 [1.1]").transform.position;
c = thisComp.layer("My Footage: Mask 1 [1.2]").transform.position;
d = thisComp.layer("My Footage: Mask 1 [1.3]").transform.position;
e = thisComp.layer("My Footage: Mask 1 [1.4]").transform.position;

(a + b + c + d + e) / 5

The comp would look something like this but a tracked mask would have a keyframe on every frame.

Screenshot_2020-09-24 22.23.08_iFl0KD.png

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

if I have made a very basic mask and tracked it on to an object can I attack a Png to it?

New Here ,
Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The mask tracker is much more useful than point tracking and i don't want to use mocha so i did all the tracking that i had to do with the track mask option but now i want to use that mask path as if it was regular tracking data exported to a null but nobody seem to have answered it where i looked.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Rick Gerard | Adobe Community Professional

Mask tracker is useful for some things but it is a lousy surface tracker. If you want to attach anything to the mask you'll need to run the Create Nulls from Paths/Nulls follow points script on the mask path. This will give you a group of nulls that have position information. If you want to average the positions to stick something to the mask then you need to create an expression that adds the position values of all the nulls and divides by the number of nulls. You can then fine-tune the position of the layer you want following the mask by adjusting and/or animating the anchor point. It's a lot easier just to use Mocha or the feature tracker (AE does not have a point tracker),  and you'll get a more accurate track of a surface. 

(a + b + c + d + e) / 5

The comp would look something like this but a tracked mask would have a keyframe on every frame.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 24, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(a + b + c + d + e) / 5

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 24, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By point tracker I meant the Ae feature tracker, it's quite evident that i am very ingorant so thank you very much for showing me.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 24, 2020 0