Highlighted

Import Guides from Illustrator

New Here ,
Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I have a question regarding import guides in After Effects. I've made guides from an isometric grid in Illustrator. How can i import these guides into After Effects? They don't appear when using the AI import functionality (only the layers appear). The import guides function (View > Import Guides...) is asking for a Guide Template File, but i have no clue what kind of file this should be and how to make this. I literally can't find anything about this on internet or Adobe knowledge bases. 

My desired endresult is to have a isometric grid of snappable guides, preferably not using any third party plugins. 

Thanks.

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Import Guides from Illustrator

New Here ,
Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I have a question regarding import guides in After Effects. I've made guides from an isometric grid in Illustrator. How can i import these guides into After Effects? They don't appear when using the AI import functionality (only the layers appear). The import guides function (View > Import Guides...) is asking for a Guide Template File, but i have no clue what kind of file this should be and how to make this. I literally can't find anything about this on internet or Adobe knowledge bases. 

My desired endresult is to have a isometric grid of snappable guides, preferably not using any third party plugins. 

Thanks.

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 20, 2020 0
Mylenium LATEST
Most Valuable Participant ,
Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The guides are proprietary, though I'd presume you could easily enough decipher the exchange format and write a script for it. Otherwise I don't think anybody has ever bothered with creating anything like what you seem to want. Would be rather pointless, anyway, since AE only does perpendicular guides and you cannot arbitrarily convert sahpe layer paths or masks to guides liek in AI. So rather than looking for something that doesn't exist you might want to adapt your workflow. There's a couple of scripts on AEScripts.com that deal with faux isometric perspective, so look into that.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 20, 2020 1