Highlighted

Imported Video @ 50%

New Here ,
Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone! I have come across an issue with After Effects CC 2018. I imported a screen captured video of 36.32minutes and it only shows 50% or the first half of my video. I have tried formatting it to different formats such as .MOV, and .MP4 but seems to have no luck. It initially shows a black footage of 36.32minutes but I followed some YouTube tutorials to interpret the footage for it to have a preview but at the expense of 50% of my total footage. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

Topics

Error or problem, Import and export, Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Imported Video @ 50%

New Here ,
Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone! I have come across an issue with After Effects CC 2018. I imported a screen captured video of 36.32minutes and it only shows 50% or the first half of my video. I have tried formatting it to different formats such as .MOV, and .MP4 but seems to have no luck. It initially shows a black footage of 36.32minutes but I followed some YouTube tutorials to interpret the footage for it to have a preview but at the expense of 50% of my total footage. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

Topics

Error or problem, Import and export, Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, your video is 36 minutes long, it's an MP4, the frame size and frame rate are nonstandard so you'll need to scale it up or down to a standard frame size if you want to share the end product on YouTube or Vimeo, and unless you are planning on doing some kind of effect to the entire 36-minute movie that cannot be done in Premiere Pro, or you are only planning on processing a few seconds of the screen capture movie in After Effects, you're using the wrong software. AE is not an editing app. My average project is a thirty minute or longer video, My average Comp in After Effects is less than 7 seconds. My average Premiere Pro sequence probably has somewhere between 2 and 10 visual effects or compositing shots per minute. Most of my comps have between 6 and 20 layers, but they are almost all just one shot.

The very first thing I would do is open up the screen capture footage in Premiere Pro and see how it likes it. I would change the frame rate interpretation to 29.97 and live with the slight speed change and pitch change if the movie has an audio track you intend to use, then I would cut it up in Premiere Pro, use MOGRTS for any titling that I needed, and then create comps from the shots that need effects from the Premiere Pro sequence and do those in After Effects.

The possible reasons for the frames that are not rendered include data corruption in the original render of the screen capture. If you have the option you should be rendering your screen capture video to a visually lossless format like ProRez, not H.264 MP4. All it takes to foul up an H.264 render is a couple of corrupted frames and AE can't digest them. 

If the footage will play in Premiere Pro you can either cut it up and see if AE can work with the trimmed footage, or you can use Premiere Pro or just use the Adobe Media Encoder to render a suitable frame-based visually lossless master that you can use as the source file for your project. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! Thank you for your feedback regarding my issue. My purpose for the 36 min video is to increasae its speed to have a timelapse effect which drops at 1 minute. The video is about me making a design in Illustrator using the Windows 10 default screen capture software. This is the first time I have encountered this since I was able to do this before. Interpreting the footage to 29.97 and/or 30 frames fixes the video but it only shows the 1st half of my video.

I have used Media Encoder, Handbrake, and Format Factory to play with the formats but its only good for playback outside AE, as soon as I import it to AE, it shows again some Overflow Converting Denominations Error

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first thing I would try is adding the video to a premiere Pro timeline and doing the hyperlapse (fast motion) conversion there. Premiere Pro has excellent speed control and it will render in about. half the time it takes to render in After Effects.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines