Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing png sequence After Effects

Explorer ,
Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

This is probably something quite obvious but i cant work it out as usually never work with handrawn animation.

I have a folder with 16 PNGs, i want to import it into AE so i can use it for an animation. when i import the pngs as a sequence it uniforms the scale of each file and therefore some are completely stretched out. I clearly want them to be centred but not uniformely scaled.

Where can i find this option?

TOPICS
How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 20, 2020 Jun 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there is no such thing. That's the whole point. A "sequence" in video processing has the same consistent specs for all its frames. You have to import the images separately and arrange them accordingly on the timeline e.g. using the "Sequence Layers" keyframe assistant.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha! thank you Mylenium, that definitely clears things up... I was sure i have done it before in Premier Pro though but might be wrong. What is the best process then for hand drawn animation?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Based on your other comment, you'll probably want to import them as separate images, but you can then automate some of the tasks needed to arrange them on the timeline. 

Import all images into AE. If they're already named in such a way that AE wants to import them as a sequence, make sure to uncheck/disable that option when importing them. (It'll be in your file import pop-up).

Create a composition as the desired size, or use one of the images to create it. Make sure to be mindful of the duration when creating the comp. If you're creating the comp based on one of the images, make sure to change the duration to the desired length.

Add all images, in the order you want them to be in - i.e. #1 is the top layer and #20 is the 20th layer, top-to-bottom.

Select all images (CTRL/CMD+A or click the top layer and Shift-click the bottom layer), and trim them to the desired length (one frame, two frames, etc.) using the hotkey ALT/OPT + ]. 

Keeping the layers selected, right-click one of them, then choose Keyframe Assistant, Sequence layers. Make sure Overlap is disabled, as you likely won't want that here. 

You should now have all your layers easily spaced out over time, and can work your way through manually positioning/scaling them as necessary. 

If using one of the layers as a guide for the position/scale of the others, simply extend it out (either with your mouse, or by using the above-mentioned hotkey on a later frame, with that layer selected), and use an appropriate Blending Mode or reduced Opacity setting to allow you to see the other layers as needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines