Highlighted

Importing screen recording from quicktime into after effects

New Here ,
Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created a screen recording using Quicktime which comes out as 3070x1918 in size. I am not sure how to bring this into a 1920x1080 composition without losing quality. Whenever I scale the video down to the composition size and export the final composition as a quicktime or MP4 using a H:264 codec, it loses quality and colour dramatically (edges of straight boxes and text become crunchy).

Can anyone help/advise? (I am fairly new to After Effects but well versed with Adobe software overall).

My resolution is set to full, and I have made sure the export settings are lossless (Quicktime as the export using the Animation codec for the standard render queue, and H:264 with match bitrate as the AME export).

Topics

Error or problem, How to, Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Importing screen recording from quicktime into after effects

New Here ,
Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created a screen recording using Quicktime which comes out as 3070x1918 in size. I am not sure how to bring this into a 1920x1080 composition without losing quality. Whenever I scale the video down to the composition size and export the final composition as a quicktime or MP4 using a H:264 codec, it loses quality and colour dramatically (edges of straight boxes and text become crunchy).

Can anyone help/advise? (I am fairly new to After Effects but well versed with Adobe software overall).

My resolution is set to full, and I have made sure the export settings are lossless (Quicktime as the export using the Animation codec for the standard render queue, and H:264 with match bitrate as the AME export).

Topics

Error or problem, How to, Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scale it to fit horizontally and live with the crop top and bottom. Your screen recording also probably matches the refresh rate of your screen but it is almost always a good idea to present screen capture videos at no more than 30 fps. Your render time and file size with being reduced by about 50%.

If you screen capture web pages you are going to have problems with horizontal and vertical lines because a lot of web pages use 1 pixel wide lines. The edge if the reply field on this forum is a 1 pixel 50% gray line that is going to almost disappear when you scale it down. The only thing you can do about fine lines and small text if you want to present HD is set your display settings as close as you can to 1920 X 1080 before you capture the screen. The other option is to enable any accessibility options and aids you can.  Make the type and the lines bigger if you can. You'll also want to check the position of any thin lines by setting the Magnification Ratio to 400% or more and then nudging the layer up, down, left or right until horizontal and vertical lines line up with the pixel grid.

I hope this helps. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rick! I'll give this a go and reply back/mark as correct depending on how I get on.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines