Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Insert images via file name

Community Beginner ,
Sep 11, 2020 Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Adobe Community!

I have a problem to which i have not found an answer in the forum or on the homepage of Adobe.
I want to improve my video automation process in AE and therefore I am looking for a way to create a kind of "dummy image" that I can modify via the file name or similar.

I have several video files in the same format where I change the text using a .csv file but I still need to change the images by hand.

I would be very grateful for your help.

Mike

TOPICS
FAQ , How to , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can write a script that dooes that for you. If you are new to scripting, explaining the entire process is beyond what can be explained in a single forum post.

In general you want to use the replaceSource function of the footage item that is documented here

http://docs.aenhancers.com/items/footageitem/#footageitem-replace

If you want a ready to use solution for these kinds of automations, take a look at templater

https://aescripts.com/templater/

This does not cover replacing footage, but the chapter "Tempaltes & Automation" of my free eBook "Motion Graphics that Speaks to Your Brain" might also be helpful for these kinds of automation scenarios. It basically covers the automation options you want to keep it simple and don't write scripts.

Mathias Möhl - Developer of tools like BeatEdit and Automation Blocks for Premiere Pro and After Effects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might be able to acheive this by using Adobe's Master Properties though I'm not sure if it supports targeting external image assets for re-versioning.

An alternative, but effective solution, is to use Dataclay's Templater Rig product to re-version text layers, audio / visual layers, and solid layers.  It lets you map your filename data stored in either a TSV file or Google Sheet to a composition's image layer.  Then, once mapped, you can preview how the "dummy" image layer will re-version as you step through the data with Templater's Transport.  While it isn't a free solution, it does support many layer types out-of-the-box. Watch this demo to get a feel for how previewing linked data works.

Hope this helps!

Best,

Arie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

I will definitely check this out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There's 2 approaches to this, through expressions or scripting:

Expressions with Master Properties are far easier if you have a pre-defined media set. In this case, stack all your images/videos in a comp, and add a control null with a slider to pick which layer to show, then add an opacity expression to each layer so it turns on or off depending on your comp

If you don't have a pre-defined media set, then you'll need to restort to scripting. You can write up a script yourself that opens and modifies a project with new media assets, or use an out-of-the-box solution like Dataclay.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines