• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Installed a script using the Menu and now I can't uninstall it or even find it

Community Expert ,
Jul 30, 2020 Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working on a couple of new scripts. I tried installing the script using the File/Scripts/Install Script File menu. I meant to use File/Scripts/Install Script UI panel. After running the install I got a nice message that my Preferences were updated and the new script now shows up in the File/Scripts menu, but I didn't want it there so I went to the application folder After Effects 2020/Scripts folder, it isn't there. I tried a search and found my original file, moved it, then deleted it completely and it still shows up in the File/Scripts menu. I searched the Library, reset my preferences, searched the entire hard drive, and I can't find the JSX file anywhere. 

Who knows where this file was installed? I can't find anything in the documentation and there is no option to uninstall script files. 

My little experiment failed and now I have a useless script in the menu that is not supposed to be anywhere on the system. 

If anyone has any ideas please let me know. 

Edit about 20 minutes later:

Turns out that you have to go to Preferences/General and use the Reveal Preferences button to open up the completely hidden in the User/Library/Preferences/Adobe/After Effects/17.1/Scripts folder to find the script file stored there along with the Shutdown and Startup folders which don't contain anything.  The Application/After Effects/Scripts folder also contains Shutdown and Startup folders but they contain scripts. Just dragging a script in the app/Scripts folder installs it. Why in the world does the Install Script option in the File/Scripts menu hide things so well? It makes no sense to me at all.

If anyone else ever has this problem I hope this helps you. It was driving me nuts.

TOPICS
Error or problem , How to , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jul 30, 2020 Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you didn't delete the scripts folder manually, it has to be there. As you know for sure, AE has some scripts shipped with it.

Maybe you have several versions of AE installed and just accidential put the scripts in the wrong version and now you are searching in the wrong place?

Scripts are loaded on AE startup. If you delete the scripts while AE is running, the menu don't update. Is the script still working, or is it a dead link now?

And how did you search for the JSX file? Did you searched for the name, or for the file ending (which delivers more results, but is more bullet proof)?

For your next script experiment, better manually "install" the scripts by copying to the scripts or scriptsUI folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much man💙

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2022 Nov 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh my god. thank you so much. I was going INSANE! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 09, 2024 Jan 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Even trashing the preferences + a fresh install of AE did not work for me to get rid of the ghost .jsx.  What a pain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines