Highlighted

Installed font on computer doesn't appear on After Effects font list

New Here ,
Jan 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

It seems that I'm having some problem using a font that I have installed on my computer but it's not appearing on After Effects font list.

The weirdest thing is that the font has several weights, but only one appears one - Italic, as the image shows.

The font is not on TypeKit, because it's the Renault brand font. So, if anyone has any idea on how to help me, please, I would really appreciate it !

(I have the newest version of After Effects CC)

help.png

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Rick Gerard | Adobe Community Professional

Not all fonts are supported in AE. For third-party fonts, you may have to uninstall and reinstall or find another source for the same font. Some fonts may work in Illustrator but not in AE. If your font works in Illustrator and you are not relying on text animators you could convert the type to outlines in AI and get that to work.

If you are using Adobe Typekit they should work if properly synced. I'd un-sync and resync if you are using Typekit.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Installed font on computer doesn't appear on After Effects font list

New Here ,
Jan 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

It seems that I'm having some problem using a font that I have installed on my computer but it's not appearing on After Effects font list.

The weirdest thing is that the font has several weights, but only one appears one - Italic, as the image shows.

The font is not on TypeKit, because it's the Renault brand font. So, if anyone has any idea on how to help me, please, I would really appreciate it !

(I have the newest version of After Effects CC)

help.png

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Rick Gerard | Adobe Community Professional

Not all fonts are supported in AE. For third-party fonts, you may have to uninstall and reinstall or find another source for the same font. Some fonts may work in Illustrator but not in AE. If your font works in Illustrator and you are not relying on text animators you could convert the type to outlines in AI and get that to work.

If you are using Adobe Typekit they should work if properly synced. I'd un-sync and resync if you are using Typekit.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is probably happening: The Renault brand fonts have the same "system" name across all the weights, meaning that Windows/Adobe sees each weight as the same font and is only loading one of them at a time. This could easily just be lousy craftsmanship on the font-maker's end. One way to test is to uninstall the italic version and see if a different weight is what shows up in AE (other than Italic). If this turns out to be the case you can try opening the font with a font editor (Font Forge or something similar) and re-saving as a different name.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found that in AE2018 v 15.1 a bug with local fonts. If you downgrade to AE2018v15.01 (build73) and everything worked.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also found a lot of font load/activation issues with v15.1. Downgraded to v15.01 and issues resolved.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just go back to install 17.2 and mine worked fine.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines