Highlighted

Is there way a colour match one clip to points in another clip in AE?

Engaged ,
Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there an option in After Effects (or a reasonably priced plug-in) where you can match the lighting and colour balance of one clip at a point in time to another clip at the point in the timeline?

eg. if the lighting through windows has been changing over time but you want to do a rough cut out of someone and place them back in the same scene but the lighting/colours are different at that point and you want them to match.

ie. is there a way to click on points that are identical in the 2 clips (eg. anything in the background like parts of the wall, door etc.) and have it adjust the colour balance of the overlaid clip to match the other clip at those points (without having to manually try different colour balance adjustments for RGB/channel mixer thing)? Also "change to colour" didn't really work for it.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Is there way a colour match one clip to points in another clip in AE?

Engaged ,
Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there an option in After Effects (or a reasonably priced plug-in) where you can match the lighting and colour balance of one clip at a point in time to another clip at the point in the timeline?

eg. if the lighting through windows has been changing over time but you want to do a rough cut out of someone and place them back in the same scene but the lighting/colours are different at that point and you want them to match.

ie. is there a way to click on points that are identical in the 2 clips (eg. anything in the background like parts of the wall, door etc.) and have it adjust the colour balance of the overlaid clip to match the other clip at those points (without having to manually try different colour balance adjustments for RGB/channel mixer thing)? Also "change to colour" didn't really work for it.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 16, 2020 0
Guide ,
Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lumetri Color (in your effects panel) might come in handy here. However, I've never seen good results from just adjusting white balance or matching color mathematically.

From my understanding, lightning is complex and a changing lightning situation requires precise finetune.

*Martin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 16, 2020 0
A_I_1 LATEST
Engaged ,
Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Though that doesn't have an automatic adjustment option based on points within an image. But maybe I should try something in that.

But I've looked at "colour stabilizer" and "colour link". Maybe colour stabilizer might be closest to what I want (colour link basically justs gets 1 colour average for the whole frame) but I had a quick try and stabilizer just works on black points, white points and mid points for the specified positions. Something like that where it automatically made the adjustments would be what I'd want.

eg. some option where I could click in points of the background that aren't moving (eg. door handle, door frame, wall) and it looks at the difference (rgb-wise) between those same points in the new clip and adjusts the brightness/colour balance to match those points, interpolating the adjustments over the whole frame. For precise adjustments, more matching points could be specified on the 2 clips I assume (or a whole area could be selected that's the same on both, or eveything apart from a specified mask).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 16, 2020 0