Keyframes Not Working After Video Mask

Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did some lyrics for a music video in After Effects, including keyframes for opacity/offset/scale. Everything worked fine, I attempted to move some of the text layers behind an object in the video by duplicating the video and masking the object. I then moved the masked video above the text. For some reason when I did that my keyframes aren't being recgonized and the text just appears on the screen whenever it feels like. 

The moment I hide that masked video the text then works perfectly according to the keyframe. Why is this and how do I fix it so I can keep this "text behind object" effect?

**Niya Error.PNGScreenshot attached**

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Keyframes Not Working After Video Mask

Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did some lyrics for a music video in After Effects, including keyframes for opacity/offset/scale. Everything worked fine, I attempted to move some of the text layers behind an object in the video by duplicating the video and masking the object. I then moved the masked video above the text. For some reason when I did that my keyframes aren't being recgonized and the text just appears on the screen whenever it feels like. 

The moment I hide that masked video the text then works perfectly according to the keyframe. Why is this and how do I fix it so I can keep this "text behind object" effect?

**Niya Error.PNGScreenshot attached**

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 22, 2020 0
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As per your screenshot the layer visibility is turned off, so I'm not even sure what you are getting at. That aside it's not really helpful having to stare at a cropped screenshot with the relevant timeline content not revealed. Even if there is some genuine issue, we simply have no way of deducing anything, so by all means do better and give us more info and better screenies.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 23, 2020 0
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Capture.PNG

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 23, 2020 0
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this help? This is my first time posting on the forum so I didn't know what you needed to see. Figured my explanation would be enough

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 23, 2020 0
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Layer 39 is the masked layer and the one causing problems. When the visibility is on the Text Keyframes don't do anything, when visibility is off the keyframes work perfectly fine.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 23, 2020 0
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select layer 39, press the 'u' key twice to reveal all modified properties, and look for something wrong. We see layer 38 in your screenshot but we can't tell what is going on. The only thing I know for sure is that it is a nested comp (pre-comp), quality is set to best, collapse transformations have not been turned on, and there are effects. 

When you run into trouble the very first thing you should do is solo the layer and reveal all modified properties 'uu.' If the problem goes away then the problem comes from another layer. Start turning on layers one at a time until you find the problem. If you can't figure it out post a screenshot of the comp showing us what is going on in layer 39, or if the problem is in the nested comp, open that up and show us what is going on there. 

I have another suggestion for you. It looks like you are trying to use After Effects as a video editor. It's not designed for that. I almost never have a comp that is longer than a single phrase or sentence. The comps are then rendered and the final edit is done in Premiere Pro. Even for something like this. You're going to have a lot less trouble figuring out where things go wrong if you cut up the audio track into separate comps and do the animations in the shorter comps. You can bring them all back into the main cop to render the whole thing later if you like.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 23, 2020 0
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

roto.PNGHere's whats going on in layer 39. Basically a bunch of roto brush masks. 

I know the problem is within layer 39, because when I turn that layer off the text files under it work according to the keyframes & when its turned back on the keyframes don't work. But I need it, in order to hide the text behind and object in certain scenes

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 23, 2020 0
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a video showing what the problem is & how i know its layer 39

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 23, 2020 0
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does 39 look like when you solo it? Check the Alpha Channel. Did you Freeze Rotobrush? Typically when you use Rotobrush you are trying to create a track matte by masking something that is moving. That layer is placed directly above the layer you want to poke a hole in.

If you enable the transparency grid and solo layer 39 you should see something in the frame with holes in it. If these holes do not line up with the text layers then that explains why your text layers disappear. Turning on layer 39 has nothing to do with the animation of the text layers, it is just hiding them, right???

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 23, 2020 0
#Zammy LATEST
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahhh! so me having no formal training on After Effects was the problem lol. 

So basically I need to split and cut out the scenes in layer 39 that aren't roto brushed, as I only used it on some of the scenes. The frames that weren't roto brushed were hiding the text because I have that layer placed above the text layers. 

Thank you for your help, as your thought process helped me dechyper the issue I was having. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 23, 2020 0