Highlighted

Keying out green Screen where subject has some green on Clothing

New Here ,
Nov 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi .

I  have a video footage  of a moving  subject shot against a green screen but the subject's outfit has some green on the  hand cuff's  as well as the bottom of the dress.   When I key out the green screen this makes the those areas tranparent 

what is the best way to fix this in After effects  ? 

I believe I have to use Key Light with Inside Mask but I am new to After Effects . 

Please advice 

CDCapture.JPG

TOPICS
Expressions, FAQ, How to, Preview, Resources

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Keying out green Screen where subject has some green on Clothing

New Here ,
Nov 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi .

I  have a video footage  of a moving  subject shot against a green screen but the subject's outfit has some green on the  hand cuff's  as well as the bottom of the dress.   When I key out the green screen this makes the those areas tranparent 

what is the best way to fix this in After effects  ? 

I believe I have to use Key Light with Inside Mask but I am new to After Effects . 

Please advice 

CDCapture.JPG

TOPICS
Expressions, FAQ, How to, Preview, Resources

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 07, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Nov 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, "Inside Masks" or other garbage mattes are of no use here. The green stripe needs to be completely masked by hand the old hard way for the simple reason that including it in the keyer would mess up the matte. Duplicate the layer, mask out a sufficient area at the bottom of the skirt and blend it in with the keyed section on the lower layer.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 07, 2020 1
Explorer ,
Nov 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Next time use a blue screen if the subject wears green.

It has no use to even start filming!

If you have a lot of difficult colors, or worse - transparant clothes for instance, I find it best to key on white. You will have no problems with the spill and with proper lightning you can easily remove the much brighter background.

Having a lightsource coming from behind the subject, towards the camera will also give nice sharp edges on the subject.

The art of keying is in the setup, not in post. The extra time spent in preparation will save you tenfold in postproduction - if reshooting is not an option, the best you can do is rotoscoping like @Mylenium said.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 08, 2020 0