Highlighted

Lag issue selecting multiple keyframes on different layers (Mac OS Catalina)

Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried looking around and have been unable to find people with a similar issue.

Within even very light compositions using a few shape layers, selecting multiple keyframes across layers will cause a the selection to freeze for a moment midway, followed by the spinning rainbow wheel, finally havign the marquee 'catch up'. I have plenty of memory and it's incredibly frustrating having to wait for each single adjustment. Can anyone point me in the right direction for resolving this?

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019) 

3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9

40 GB 2400 MHz DDR4

Radeon Pro Vega 48 8 GB

TOPICS
Error or problem, Freeze or hang, Performance, Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Lag issue selecting multiple keyframes on different layers (Mac OS Catalina)

Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried looking around and have been unable to find people with a similar issue.

Within even very light compositions using a few shape layers, selecting multiple keyframes across layers will cause a the selection to freeze for a moment midway, followed by the spinning rainbow wheel, finally havign the marquee 'catch up'. I have plenty of memory and it's incredibly frustrating having to wait for each single adjustment. Can anyone point me in the right direction for resolving this?

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019) 

3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9

40 GB 2400 MHz DDR4

Radeon Pro Vega 48 8 GB

TOPICS
Error or problem, Freeze or hang, Performance, Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 05, 2020 2
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just ran this quick test on my 2017 MB Pro with Mercury acceleration turned on in the Project Settings panel. No problems, Created a bunch of keyframes on a bunch of properties, duplicated the layer so I had 100 copies and no problems with the Timeline Maximized or with the default workspace. 

Screenshot_2020-04-05 21.09.10_Uzs94g.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 05, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for attempting to replicate the problem. Here is a short clip of me trying to edit in small composition. Please ignore the compression distortions.

ezgif-7-91c09309e028.gif

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 05, 2020 1
Explorer ,
Apr 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue, both mouse and wacom pen selection is freezing selecting mulitple keyframes

MAC OS 10.15.4 Catalina

AE 17.0.5

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)

2,4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9

64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB

Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 06, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this exact same issue. It really makes Ae a pain to work with as this is an action you do constantly.

2019 i9 iMac Catalina Ae 2019 and 2020. Maybe it is a Catalina issue?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 12, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Catalina, because of its inability to use a single 32-bit line of code in any application, is a no-go for me at this time. I read all the documentation and decided not to upgrade. I have apps, some of them very expensive, from a lot of different developers that are not 100% compatible with Catalina yet so OS update for me. Not yet. 

If changing the GPU settings in the Project Panel doesn't help I would seriously look into moving back to 10.14.6 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 13, 2020 0
Explorer ,
May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not a Catalina issue, I've got it on both Mojave and Catalina but do not have it on Windows on my PC.

There is another thread about it here https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects/marquee-keyframe-selection-hangs/m-p/10920373?page=1 - Submit your logs and see if they can get it fixed for us. It's made an absolute nightmare of a long hectic client project I am on right now. Happens so frequently it borders on unusable.

I actually upgraded from Mojave to Catalina and found that the issue went away for about a week, but now it's back all of a sudden and happening all the time, so I guess I just got a lucky week.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 05, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True, I have found it not to be an Catalina issue over time. For me it has seemed to be a heating issue. I put a small fan to the side of the iMac and it fixed my issues for the last few weeks. Today it got really hot where I am and suddenly the lagging issue is back.

Also, I sometimes changed Ae to open in low res mode and that might have helped some too, or not. (Right click app - Get Info)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 05, 2020 0
Explorer ,
May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

By the way, this 'hanging' of the mousepointer is not only during the selecting of keyframes but also working with shapepaths.

Somewhere in other forum threads it is suggested it has something to do with computers (laptops?) heating up. Maybe Adobe can look into that because it is getting realy annoying.

Nils

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 07, 2020 1
Explorer ,
May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think its a heating issue either. It can happen within a few minutes of starting my computer up after being off for days. 

I compared the same version of AE 2020 with the same project on my Mac and Windows machine and on a Mac as soon as the mouse is pressed down for a marquee the CPU jumps immediately to 100% and beyond. The same action on the Windows version left the CPU usage at around 15%, no change on mouse press. Maybe that doesn't mean anything significant, I'm not much of a tech guy, but that seems weird.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 13, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am SUFFERING with this issue!
The quick hand tool (spacebar) in comp window seems to intermittently do the same thing to me as well, ending up in shifted layer positions and all sorts of unwanted irritations. Any ideas suggestions on more a solve or workaround would be great.
I'm on a 2019 5K iMac i9 64G RAM. This shouldn't even be something i need to type about really... 
PS. running Mojave, so i cant even blame Catalina...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 12, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it happens to the best of macs. Not a power issue. I would say keep your computer cool and close any apps you don't really need open when working with Ae. So even Photoshop, Illustrator, and any extra utilities in the top right. I also turned off spotlight to be safe. I get the issue a lot less now, but it still shows up in heavy compositions. I really don't know though, and hope it can be fixed soon. Still seems to be random.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 12, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply. I agree but software of this quality and machines of this constitution should really run interface flawlessly. i can give it away on render times and heavy resource stuff like Ray-Trace comps (Cinema 4D engine now)
etc but not simple keyframe selections.. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 12, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think this is limited to Catalina. I also do not think this is power or heat related. My gut is telling me this is somehow a disk caching issue.

This sounds exactly like the issue we are experiencing in this thread:

After Effects Hesitates When Dragging Clips Left and Right on the Timeline 

Admins, would it be possible to combine these threads and increase the visibility of this bug?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 12, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a very good point and super interesting. I ran first aid on the drive and cleaning up unnecessary clutter.
Considering investigating more into a separate drive 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 12, 2020 0