Highlighted

Layer jumps to another position and then jumps back to original

New Here ,
Aug 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there,

I've created a composition with two layers of video footage; the bottom layer is video of a laptop, and the top layer is a screenshot video, which I've superimposed on the laptop screen (since cameras don't tend to capture screens very well). In the last couple seconds of my composition, that top layer jumps to the top-left corner of the frame and then jumps back to the original position. Can anyone tell me how to fix?

I've only used After Effects for about a week so far, so I'm pretty green 🙂

Here's the video so you can see what I mean. Jump to about 0:20 and you'll see what I mean.

https://youtu.be/qGHiZpCcwVM

Thanks,

Mike

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Topics

Error or problem, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Layer jumps to another position and then jumps back to original

New Here ,
Aug 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there,

I've created a composition with two layers of video footage; the bottom layer is video of a laptop, and the top layer is a screenshot video, which I've superimposed on the laptop screen (since cameras don't tend to capture screens very well). In the last couple seconds of my composition, that top layer jumps to the top-left corner of the frame and then jumps back to the original position. Can anyone tell me how to fix?

I've only used After Effects for about a week so far, so I'm pretty green 🙂

Here's the video so you can see what I mean. Jump to about 0:20 and you'll see what I mean.

https://youtu.be/qGHiZpCcwVM

Thanks,

Mike

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Topics

Error or problem, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there Mike, I've never seen something like this but theres a few things that could be worth giving a try:

If the error appears inside after effects on the preview panel:

1- Try separating your footage into two different compositions, one with your screen capture and another with just the footage of the laptop as recorded by the camera, then you can try bringing the screen capture composition on top of the laptop footage

2- Try placing some key frames with the exact coordinates (x,y) you want the screen capture footage to be at when the glitch occurs

If the error appears after rendering:

1- Try rendering with Media Encoder, search for a preset that fits the original composition size (resolution) and frame rate (I recomend High Quality 1080p HD (H.264) since it's a simple but complete preset for standard HD Video)

Hope this can somehow be helpfull.
-Naim

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to carefully check the comp for missing keyframes or a glitch there. Select all layers, press the 'u' key twice, and look for things that are out of place.

You have not explained your workflow at all I don't know if you used tracking or did it all by hand. There is also a small possibility that the glitch comes from a stray frame stored in memory. To solve that problem purge all memory and disk cache before you render.

There is one other thing that may have caused the problem. If the replacement footage is a highly compressed or variable frame rate from a screen capture program and it was rendered to an MP4, AE could be having problems decoding the footage.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was the keyframe coordinate issue! Not sure how they were applied to that one layer, but I figured it out. Thanks, guys.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines