Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Layer not displaying in the correct position

Community Beginner ,
Jul 09, 2020 Jul 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I have a problem with a png layer not displaying in the location that I would like.

I have two eyelids that are supposed to lay over the top of a pair of eyes in a portrait.

The position properties are exactly the same for both eyelid layers and they are both on 3D layers.

The issue has occurred after editing the offending png in Photoshop and then refreshing the image in After Effects. The png was in the correct position prior to editing the png.

I then deleted the layers in After Effects and re-imported the layers and reset the position properties, however, the issue still remains.

All layers align correctly in Photoshop but not in After effects.

I have no clue as to what is causing this issue but if anyone can help I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version 10.0.18362 Build 18362

System Model Z97X-SLI
System Type x64-based PC

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz, 4001 Mhz, 4 Core(s)

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 32.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 31.9 GB
Available Physical Memory 20.3 GB
Total Virtual Memory 42.4 GB
Available Virtual Memory 28.1 GB
Page File Space 10.5 GB

Graphics card:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050

NVIDIA Studio Driver
Version: 451.48
Release Date: 06/24/2020

After Effects version:

Version: 17.1.1 (Build 34)

PNG Specs:

Framed Oil Brush.png
Dimensions: 1920 x 1080
Bit depth: 32
Size: 1.21 MB

Deb L Eyelid.png
Size: 19.7 KB

Deb R Eyelid.png
Size: 17.2 KB

Deb L Eyelid layer not over eye in portraitDeb L Eyelid layer not over eye in portraitLayer propertiesLayer propertiesEyelid pngs in Photoshop - aligned correctlyEyelid pngs in Photoshop - aligned correctlyPortrait with eyelid layers in photoshopPortrait with eyelid layers in photoshop

TOPICS
Error or problem , Preview , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your Z positions are at insane negative values. That would affect the placement of your layers by ways of the virtual composition camera. I'm sure if you bring them into normal ranges or zero them out again things will line up much better.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mylenium,

Thanks, I actually wondered if that may be causing the issue. When I first set up the project and in that particular precomp something went wrong, even the scale properties on my layers went into the negative values for some reason.

I ended up correcting the scale on the layers because I noticed that it was causing issues with those particular layers but because every other layer was still displaying as they should, I didn't think there was a problem.

It was only one png that I seemed to be having this issue with repeatedly no matter what I did.

I contacted Live Support Chat to get some help and I even mentioned the - Z value but the operator didn't comment on that.

After about 2 hours of uninstalling and reinstalling drivers for my gpu, installing earlier versions of AE and exporting a test png into test projects with the same png layers, the issue was never resolved.

In two of my precomps including the one you were helping me with and this one, I had to manually drag the layer into the correct alignment.

The operator who accessed my computer remotely was at a loss as well.

I will change the Z axis property and see if that helps, however I did note that I have the Z property in the other precomp was set at 0.0 and yet the same issue was ocurring with the same png.

Thanks for checking in on me and your reply,

Sean.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Changed the Z to zero and the layer still shows the same orientation.

I think I will just drag the layer into position manually.Z change to layersZ change to layersLeft eyelid still not appearing over the eyeLeft eyelid still not appearing over the eye

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines