Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Layer Styles Scaling Issue

Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I'm currently using Layer Styles to add a bit of textured grain to some shape layers in one of my projects. I am having two issues that I hope you can help with.

First off, I cannot find a way to "parent" the layer styles to the shape layer, like you would be able to do if you were using an external image as a texture. Because of this, the grain does not move with the object, and the texture changes its look every time the shape layer moves.

Second, due to not being able to parent it, I cannot get it to remain looking the same relative to the scale of the shape layer. So, if I texture it with the layer style grain at 100%, and it shrinks to 20% or so, the grain doesn't shrink with it, leaving a really ugly overly grainy texture. Is there a way to fix this?

Thank you all for your help.

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Hi. Is there any reason you cannot precompose the shapes with the layer style, then manipulate the scale/position etc in the main composition?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Is there any reason you cannot precompose the shapes with the layer style, then manipulate the scale/position etc in the main composition?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Towerguy,

I currently have it set up as follows:

Lowest comp has the shape layers -> Pre comp of the shape layers (layer styles are applied to this composition, not the individual shape layers) -> Pre comp of that comp -> Control Null as the parent to last pre comp.

The "errors" are still happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went over and over my setup again and rebuilt it from scratch. Turns out, the layer styles kept sticking to the topmost composition and went unnoticed by me. This setup worked.

Thank you tremendously!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Layer Styles are available through the Layer/Layer Styles menu and there is no Grain layer style. The options are the same as the layer styles in Photoshop. Drop Shadow, Inner Glow, Outer Glow, Bevil and Emboss, Satin, Color Overlay, Gradient Overlay, and Stroke. These all move with the layer and with the individual contents of a shape layer. 

There is an Effects/Stylize category of effects, but again, Grain is not in that group. 

I'm not sure what you are trying to do because no screenshots were provided and none of the modifications to the layers were shown. The only thing I can think of that would keep an effect from moving with a layer is applying that effect to an adjustment layer. 

If you are still having problems, we need a screenshot. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines