Highlighted

Leave all elements on screen when animation finishes in After Effects

New Here ,
Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pretty new to After Effects so it maybe a stupid question. I can't solve this via everything i have read. Very simple animation. A pin dropping in to a map. The background map and pin are PNG file's. I'm wanting to leave all elements on screen at the end of the animation. So no looping. Just runs through once and stays on screen. The backgorund map stays but the pin goes away. I have tried making the pin a 'shape' with the same outcome. There's no option to 'Freeze Frames' under layer - time. Only options are 'Time reverse' and 'Time Stretch'. I've tried to split layer with no joy. Tried Pre-composing the pin layer and using the options of 'Freeze Frame' and it's still leaving the animation when finished. 

Only keyframes are Postions and Transparacy.

Using After Effects CC V17 on MacOS Mojave

Thanks.

Topics

Error or problem, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Leave all elements on screen when animation finishes in After Effects

New Here ,
Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pretty new to After Effects so it maybe a stupid question. I can't solve this via everything i have read. Very simple animation. A pin dropping in to a map. The background map and pin are PNG file's. I'm wanting to leave all elements on screen at the end of the animation. So no looping. Just runs through once and stays on screen. The backgorund map stays but the pin goes away. I have tried making the pin a 'shape' with the same outcome. There's no option to 'Freeze Frames' under layer - time. Only options are 'Time reverse' and 'Time Stretch'. I've tried to split layer with no joy. Tried Pre-composing the pin layer and using the options of 'Freeze Frame' and it's still leaving the animation when finished. 

Only keyframes are Postions and Transparacy.

Using After Effects CC V17 on MacOS Mojave

Thanks.

Topics

Error or problem, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Guide ,
Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first screenshots shows, that the pin fades in at the beginning of your comp. In your second screenshot, the pin is visible at the end of your comp. 

*Martin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's correct. Whne the preview runs through the pin goes away. Same when I render the file.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Guide ,
Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You composition is one and a half second long and the preview plays in loop by default. I think this is what confuses you.

*Martin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you may just be misunderstanding the way the preview feature works within AE. By default, the preview is set to loop, since most people will want to preview their animation multiple times to view various details. In your Preview panel, there's an option to change this to a play-once functionality. 
1.jpg2.jpg

Clicking this little icon will toggle between the two states. Left is looping, right is play once. 
Also note that you can establish different settings for different shortcut keys (just up and to the left of this icon), so make sure you're adjusting the settings for the key you're actually using. 

When actually exporting your video, make sure you're adding enough time on the end to get the desired "hold" effect you're after.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the replies. It probably is me just misunderstanding what's going on. 

I have used the loop buttons in the preview tools and changed it to play once. But that didn't changed the issue of the pin dropping off at the end of the duration of the animation. I guess im understanding why the map stays at the end and the pin doesn't.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess I'm having difficulty understanding your issue. If you press the End key to take you to the last frame of your timeline, is the map pin visible? Your screenshots seem to say yes. I'm wondering if there's an issue with your description of what you're trying to achieve?

For what it's worth, there shouldn't be any need to mess with any time functions you mentioned, as still images are already infinite unless you manually trim them, which you seemingly haven't here. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I think it's probably me getting confussed as to what the timeline is doing. If I press the end key is does show the pin at the end!!!! When im playing the preview through, the time marker goes back to the beginning which i think is where im getting confussed - as the pin has an opacity of 0 a the beginning. What i was worried about was this animation going in to a presentation and the pin not staying on screen when the animation finished.

Sorry for asking a silly questions!!!!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All good. It does sound to me like there was just some confusion over what you were previewing, and not your actual file. If you're new to animation, or to video work in general, it might be a little different workflow than you're used to. 

Since it's going into a presentation, you may end up needing to focus more on making sure that player will stop at the desired frame, but you may or may not have much control over that. If not, a potential solution could be just adding extra time onto the end of your animation, giving you "padding" you can use to help make sure it looks the way you want (even if it's technically still playing). 

Don't forget that Adobe provides quite a bit of tutorial content themselves to ensure you understand how to use the program. If you go to Window > Workspace > Learn, it'll even step you through several of them to make sure you're acquainted with the workspace and general approach. 

Good luck! 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines