Highlighted

Light Layer not showing any preview

Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When creating a Point Light layer (or any other light layer) I'm not seeing any preview of the effect. I'm only seeing the green and red arrows. Adjusting any light parameters shows nothing. I assume the light effect should be visible in preview by default? What's missing?

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Light Layer not showing any preview

Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When creating a Point Light layer (or any other light layer) I'm not seeing any preview of the effect. I'm only seeing the green and red arrows. Adjusting any light parameters shows nothing. I assume the light effect should be visible in preview by default? What's missing?

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 27, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lights don't create any content of their own, they react with 3D layers in your composition. Do you have 3D layers in your composition that are oriented toward the light source?  Is the camera positioned appropriately to see the layers that are being lit?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 27, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 9.52.02 AM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 29, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your message. I saw from a video that a light layer previews as defaulf when created and affects non 3d layers as well? I have no 3d object but a Fractal noise animation in the background. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 29, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure about the video you watched, but it's wrong.  2D layers are not affected by lights in any way.  (The only 2D layers that react to lights are those that do 3D simulations, such as Videocopilot's Element 3D, Trapcode Lux, Trapcode Particular etc.)  After Effect's 2D and 3D rendering are effectively different worlds sandwiched together: nothing in the 2D world interacts with the 3D world.

However, the hierarchy of your layers may also cause problems.  2D layers in the layer stack between two or more 3D layers can cause the 3D layers to be separated into different 3D "worlds" so they no longer interact.  It's as if the 3D layers below the 2D layer have a wall keeping them out of the world aove the 2D layer.  Lights and cameras work across the wall, but the 3D layers won't intersect.

I can't see from your screengrab if any of your layers are 3D as you have the indicators hidden, but I presume you do not.  Try switching all your layers to 3D and create a Spot Light at 100% Intensity.  This should give you a clear idea of whether the light is working.  At least then you'll get a sense of what the light can do for your underlying animation.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 30, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help!

I found the controls to make a layer 3D. I made the fractal noise background layer 3d, and this screws up my Kaleidoscope effect, and also the light layer applied now just result in a full black screen regardless of the position of the layer in the stack. I tried turning all layers 3D but some of my adjustment layers need to stay 2d according to the alert when trying to turn them 3d. Incredibly messy business for something that should be relatively straight forward to accomplish.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 30, 2020 0
TC5 LATEST
Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I will export this project to Premiere, it looks like a spotlight effect will be much easier to apply there instead.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 30, 2020 0