Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Linking Source Text to Names in a Dropdown Menu list

New Here ,
Oct 05, 2020 Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm having an issue in Adobe After Effects 2020 writing a simple expression that links together team logos and team names using Source Text. My project has 90+ team logos in one Composition and each logo has an Opacity expression that will reveal each logo when selected using the Dropdown Menu Control effect. My final compositon that displays the team logos also has each team name underneath, but I want to link each team logo change up with the team name change as well. I'm using the property pick-whip to link the Source Text to the Dropdown Menu Control, which connects using the expression:

thisComp.layer("LOGO_1 CONTROL").effect("Dropdown Menu Control")("Menu")

and now suddenly I'm getting numbers displayed instead of team names:

Logos 1 and 2 wide.jpg

It's clearly taking the figure from the first column in this effect control edit menu:

Dropdown Edit Menu.jpg

but is it possible to link the above expression to the Name column from that edit menu? What am I missing? The way around it seem to link each one with a long array of every name, but could I link it through that dropdown menu Name list?

Thanks in advance!

TOPICS
Expressions , FAQ , Resources , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Oct 05, 2020 Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no automated way to get the related text string of a Drop Down Menu Control's selected index.

Related Samples -

https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/create_dropdowns_using_expressions.html

Lastly, you will want to break the 100 menu items into at least two groups to provide a better UI/UX during selection since a drop down menu with about 52 items will max out the height of a HS 1920x1080 screen. Having more than 52 items within a single drop down menu means lots of scrolling to reach items >52. HTH

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 07, 2020 Oct 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

just an idea: if the logo images contain the team name in their project item name maybe you can extract the name from there?

Assuming that layer 2 is the logo of your team, you can access the name its footage item has in the project as

thisComp.layer(2).source.name

Mathias Möhl - Developer of tools like BeatEdit and Automation Blocks for Premiere Pro and After Effects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines