Highlighted

Logo reveal - parts to fly in/fly out

New Here ,
Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I need to create a logo reveal, for a logo which is made up of dots and circles. I want the dots and circles to all individually fly in to their positions, but also float around a bit. So it will kind of look like a particle reveal, but it needs to use the dots and circles that make up the logo itself, rather than particles.

Is there an efficient way of doing this? Or do I need to animate each dot/circle by hand?

Thanks in advance,

J

TOPICS
How to, Resources

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Logo reveal - parts to fly in/fly out

New Here ,
Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I need to create a logo reveal, for a logo which is made up of dots and circles. I want the dots and circles to all individually fly in to their positions, but also float around a bit. So it will kind of look like a particle reveal, but it needs to use the dots and circles that make up the logo itself, rather than particles.

Is there an efficient way of doing this? Or do I need to animate each dot/circle by hand?

Thanks in advance,

J

TOPICS
How to, Resources

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 15, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Impossible to know anything without seeing the logo. It all depends on how regular the shapes are arranged and sized. Of course it may still not be possible to animate everything (semi-)automatically, so you need to be prepared for some tedious hand animation no matter what, especially around the edges or where certain clusters of dots have uneven density and just relying on automated stuff would look weird. That's just the nature of the thing.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 15, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would start by creating a version of the logo in Illustrator with every piece of the logo that you want to animate on a separate layer. The logo should be set up exactly the way you want it to look and in the final position, called the Hero position. The hero position or hero pose is the destination, the perfect framing, the perfect presentation of the most important part of any shot or scene in an animation, a commercial, or a movie.

When the artwork is complete import the logo.AI file into After Effects as a composition retaining layer size. Open the comp that After Effects creates, adjust the length of the comp and verify the frame rate, then move down the timeline to the point where you want the logo to strike the hero pose, add a comp marker, select all layers (Ctrl/Cmnd + a) then set a position keyframe for all layers by pressing Alt/Option + p.

Now all you have to do is scatter the layers before you get to the hero position. There are lots of ways to do this. Expressions generating random paths, position based on a fractal noise or gradient layer, you could even just pre-compose or nest this comp in another comp and add Shatter to the nested pre-comp, use a custom shatter map and custom particle, then pre-compose the shattering comp and apply time remapping to make the bits assemble themselves into your logo.

You could also use the AI file as the basis for a 3D model in C4D Lite or Blender and apply various distortion and displacement effects to the OBJ you are creating. If you go so far as to create an OBJ file from the logo you could load it into Trapcode Tao or Mir. The most efficient technique depends on the look you want to achieve. It is always a lot easier to explode things than assemble them so Time Remapping to reverse time is your friend in a lot of these situations. 

If you have an example I can be a lot more specific. Find something on YouTube or Adobe Stock and let us help you figure out how to do something similar. The explanation is lousy and the workflow could be a lot more efficient but you can do something like this by just using Shatter and Time Remapping. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 15, 2020 0