Highlighted

Looking for official answer about CUDA.

New Here ,
Mar 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello staffs?

I'm wondering currently in the Preview and Render, Adobe still use CUDA or not? As I understand, in previous versions of After Effects. AE just uses CUDA for RayTracing (just for composition has set in 3D Renderer/Raytraced 3D). I see nobody use it, everybody uses the Element 3D plugin.

And in AE 2020, Adobe removed Raytraced Renderer and removed CUDA out of preview options.
Now is CUDA till important in AE? If yes, it using for what? If no (Adobe just use OpenCL), seem like NVIDIA isn't a 1st choice, we can go to AMD, is that right?
Capture.PNG

Topics

FAQ, Performance, Preview, Resources

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Looking for official answer about CUDA.

New Here ,
Mar 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello staffs?

I'm wondering currently in the Preview and Render, Adobe still use CUDA or not? As I understand, in previous versions of After Effects. AE just uses CUDA for RayTracing (just for composition has set in 3D Renderer/Raytraced 3D). I see nobody use it, everybody uses the Element 3D plugin.

And in AE 2020, Adobe removed Raytraced Renderer and removed CUDA out of preview options.
Now is CUDA till important in AE? If yes, it using for what? If no (Adobe just use OpenCL), seem like NVIDIA isn't a 1st choice, we can go to AMD, is that right?
Capture.PNG

Topics

FAQ, Performance, Preview, Resources

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CUDA was used for the Ray-traced Renderer. With a powerhouse CUDA GPU, AE's Raytraced Renderer was a nice addition. It worked with AE's Text Engine, which Element 3D doesn't. Both were good to have.

More AE GPU info here - https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/basics-gpu-after-effects.html

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Roland. I read this thread, but it's doesn't say CUDA uses for what? If CUDA using for something we don't need (like Raytrace Renderer), we can don't care about CUDA.

Like image bellow, i just focus on GPU they're using AMD (no CUDA) and Nvidia. Seem like CUDA doesn't need for this process (i'm not sure, but seem like Adobe just uses OpenCL/OpenGL). That's the reason for why i'm looking for Adobe using CUDA for what?

For OpenCL, Adobe say it's using for Fast Draft (in the Preview process), that's a clear information.

Capture.PNG

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm quite certain I was clear on what CUDA and AE was used for.
Perhaps you should file a Bug Report on the link I posted earlier - I do feel it's poorly written and lacks empathy towards users who invest time and money and expect more concise technical details on very basic customer support. So, please files a Bug Report.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you can go or you can update to CUDA 9.2 drivers.

GPU and GPU driver requirements for After Effects

GPU-accelerated effects

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you byroncortez. Currently, this thread don't say Adobe using CUDA for what? I just want to know is CUDA really affect to speed of process in AE? Like i reply Roland above 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Mar 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless you use the deprecated Raytrace 3D renderer, AE doesn't use any CUDA at all. All other functions are based on OpenGL/ OpenCL.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines