Highlighted

Looping .gif issue

New Here ,
Apr 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Newbie here, doing a test project. Have built a little animation in AE CC and rendered it to a .mov file. Following an online tutorial, the guy has suggested to create a looping gif file, that you import the file to PS. When I try to "import/video to layers" the file into PS CC I get "Could not complete the video frames to layers command because the file could not be opened"

From research it could perhaps be something to do with QuickTime? I'm unsure what to do to fix this so I can build a gif to share with others

Topics

Error or problem, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Looping .gif issue

New Here ,
Apr 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Newbie here, doing a test project. Have built a little animation in AE CC and rendered it to a .mov file. Following an online tutorial, the guy has suggested to create a looping gif file, that you import the file to PS. When I try to "import/video to layers" the file into PS CC I get "Could not complete the video frames to layers command because the file could not be opened"

From research it could perhaps be something to do with QuickTime? I'm unsure what to do to fix this so I can build a gif to share with others

Topics

Error or problem, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 14, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could miss out Photoshop altogether and just export from AE, via AME, as an animated GIF. 

Alternatively export as an image sequence and load that sequence of images into Photoshop to make your GIF there.

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 14, 2020 0
Apr 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Last I checked, the AME GIF export still introduces a color shift if white is used requiring a quick trip to Photoshop to correct in the Color Table to change the really light gray that results to #FFFFFF to get back to white.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 14, 2020 0
Apr 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the QuickTime Animation CODEC to ensure your AE-rendered MOVs get into PS without any issues.AME does GIFs but PS allows you to optimize palette/colors for 8-bit (GIF) output.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 14, 2020 1
Apr 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The feature that you're using is "File > Import > Video Frames to Layers..." (it's not "video to layers").  It stacks video frames as still images which is helpful for a variety of things, but not for creating an Animated GIF from a video file.

To turn a video file into an Animated GIF, use File > Open.  This will place your video file into a Timeline inside of your PSD document.  You can then use File > Export > Save for Web (Legacy)... to create an Animated GIF.  Keep in mind that the Animated GIF export has a frame count limit (I think it's 500 frames).  If you happen to have a long video, the resulting Animated GIF will just play the first 500 frames (or whatever the limit is). 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 14, 2020 1