• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lumetri is better in Premiere than in After Effects?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 22, 2020 Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone else noticed, that the Lumetri FX is better in Premiere, than in After Effects?

Specifically for highlight recovery.
I have tried to recover some blown-out highlights from a Prores 422 10-bit file coming from a Blackmagic pocket 4K camera.

So I loaded the Lumetri effect in After Effects 2020.
When I tried to recover the highlights by bringing down the "whites", or by using the curves - nothing happens, it just clips. It seems the plugin cannot access all of the bits in the file and cannot recover anything.

So then I loaded the same file in Premiere 2020 and loaded the same Lumetri effect.
I was very surpriesd, when I tried the same thing - only by using the curves I was able to recover the highlights with 1 or 2 stops - good enough!

Any thoughts?

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 22, 2020 Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's simply inherent in how the programs work. Nothing new here. When in AE, you never work directly on the actual stream data, but expanded RGB buffers. this messes with the underlying math of some color correction functions. Realyl not more than that to it.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 23, 2020 Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah well, sorry I am not very tech savvy so I dont understand your explanation, its just odd, that you cant do color correction with highlight recovery within After Effects.

I think this is essential for compositing jobs.

So I need to round-trip to Premiere, just to get the highlights right.

I wonder, if it will behave similarly with RAW files...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 24, 2020 Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What is the bit depth of your Project File? You have to set it to 32 and enable HDR in AE. I do that kind of stuff all the time. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines