Highlighted

Lyrics video - Every time i duplicate a layer and change the text. it effects the old layer

New Here ,
Jul 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All

I am starting to pull my hair out, I had downloaded a template for a lyric video so far so good. 

Now I have gone through the text layers and added most of the lyrics.

but I have run out of text layers so now my idea was to just to duplicate the layers and change the text and then that's it. 

but every time I change the text in the new layer, it automatically changes the text in the old layer. 

Layers 

Xenogears_1-1594288536943.png

Xenogears_2-1594288569115.png

I have tried creating a new text layer and renaming it but it doesn't work. everying I duplicate layers it seems to be linked to the old one. any ideas. 

This is my main screen

Xenogears_0-1594288282315.png

TOPICS
Error or problem, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Lyrics video - Every time i duplicate a layer and change the text. it effects the old layer

New Here ,
Jul 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All

I am starting to pull my hair out, I had downloaded a template for a lyric video so far so good. 

Now I have gone through the text layers and added most of the lyrics.

but I have run out of text layers so now my idea was to just to duplicate the layers and change the text and then that's it. 

but every time I change the text in the new layer, it automatically changes the text in the old layer. 

Layers 

Xenogears_1-1594288536943.png

Xenogears_2-1594288569115.png

I have tried creating a new text layer and renaming it but it doesn't work. everying I duplicate layers it seems to be linked to the old one. any ideas. 

This is my main screen

Xenogears_0-1594288282315.png

TOPICS
Error or problem, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 09, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jul 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to duplicate the source compositions, not the text layers in the timeline. A pre-comp can be used a million times across different layers/ comps, yet it is still just one reference to the original. inevitably it will change whenever you edit it, regardless from which place in the project. You might want to read the AE online help on the basics. No offense, but this is one of those classic newbie traps and only educating yourself will avoid struggling with such issues.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 09, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 09, 2020 0