Highlighted

Mac Pro 2019: Scratch Disk

Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm getting the new Mac Pro and am trying to work out how much hard drive space I'll need. I'm thinking at least 4TB but need to know: do AE, Premiere and Media Encoder still use the hard drive as a scratch disk? On the Mac Pro I can only add 2 proprietary Apple SSD drives (2 1TB, 2 2TB, 2 4TB).

There's no adding 3rd party drives internally (thanks, Apple), so I have to make the right choice now. Unless these apps just use RAM.

Thanks in advance.

TOPICS
How to, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Mac Pro 2019: Scratch Disk

Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm getting the new Mac Pro and am trying to work out how much hard drive space I'll need. I'm thinking at least 4TB but need to know: do AE, Premiere and Media Encoder still use the hard drive as a scratch disk? On the Mac Pro I can only add 2 proprietary Apple SSD drives (2 1TB, 2 2TB, 2 4TB).

There's no adding 3rd party drives internally (thanks, Apple), so I have to make the right choice now. Unless these apps just use RAM.

Thanks in advance.

TOPICS
How to, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 02, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is one of those "your mileage will vary" type answers.  

The higher the storage capacity, the larger the Media Cache.  If 4TB fits your budget, get it.  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 02, 2020 1
Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you notice the Promise Pegasus J2i 8TB Internal Storage Enclosure for Mac Pro?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 02, 2020 1
Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple Insider has a pretty good article on internal storage options for the Mac Pro from July 2020.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/20/07/02/how-to-upgrade-mac-pro-storage-with-apples-new-mac-pro-ss...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 02, 2020 0
Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running new Mac Pros in two edit suites in my facility currently.  They both have 96GB RAM, 2TB factory SSDs, but most of our jobs are stored on an external server, so the SSDs really just store local material, and a few jobs that we store exclusively on Dropbox so outside team members can easily contribute.  

We're having no issues at all with local storage or scratch disk space, so I can recommned this config as being reliable and stable.  Note that we went for the base level CPU with the fastest raw CPU speed, as Adobe software doesn't gain great efficiencies from multiple cores.  But it still has plenty of guts for Cinema 4D renders etc.

Screen Shot 2020-11-03 at 5.29.29 pm.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 02, 2020 2
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the insights, everyone.  I'm going to keep what I have and eventually get the OWC Accelsior 4M2, which apparently has faster throughput than the Apple SSDs.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 05, 2020 0